Thursday, September 6, 2012

Temporary Home

My roommate while in Uganda and very dear friend, Jean drove down here from North Jersey last Thursday so we could head to a wedding of one of our other Uganda roommates in Indiana for the weekend.  Laughter ensued almost immediately as we reunited, talked about Africa, and shared a meal.  My heart was overwhelmed with joy, reminiscing in the memories of a place that has forever ruined me (ruined me in the best way possible).  The next morning we left my house by 6am to start our safari, journey, to Indiana, which included a stop in PA to pick up one of our former students in Uganda.  

The road trip really began after our brief stop in PA.  The three of us laughed, listened to good music, good comedy, and just enjoyed each other's presence.  It was beautiful.  Once we crossed into Ohio, my heart was anxious and ready to be in Indiana.  For so long it was a place of intense pain, although it was mixed with great joy because of the youth kids there.  

The pain that was once crippling is gone and now there's such freedom that I simply couldn't wait to be there, in a place I called home for so many years during and after college.  Crossing into Indiana was beyond exciting!  After being in the car ALL day, I was ready to see my friend and be somewhere so familiar it's like being all the way home.  As we approached my friend's house, my head was pounding.  I simply thought it was due to over excitement and a looooong car ride.


After we got settled in, we went out for dinner and then to an ice cream place owned by some people we know from the church there.  Towards the end of dinner I could tell that something wasn't right; I was feeling super hot and a little bit weak.   Weird because I don't get sick often.  By the time we got to the ice cream place I was ready to be home.  I couldn't even eat my ice cream and it was obvious that I had a fever.  


What a way to begin the week which, by the way, was way over booked in order to see as many people as possible!  I prayed and asked others to pray, went to the pharmacy and got some meds, and we went home.  I did my best to suck it up and have a good time regardless of how I was feeling.  The girls and I were exhausted from the drive anyways, so we all just kind of chilled and played a game.  At about 1am, I was definitely ready to sleep and the others were already in bed or getting ready for bed.  So we ended the game and went to bed.  I was so hot and uncomfortable that I hardly slept at all that night.  It was one of those nights where I kept looking at the clock, thinking about how much time I had left before I had to get up.  Ugh!


So the next day I still wasn't feeling well and now I was exhausted as well.  We went about our day as scheduled.  The girls met up with someone else from Uganda while my friend and I met up with a friend from college.  It was lovely, of course.  By the time we got home, it was time to get ready for the wedding that was that evening.  We got ready and drove the hour and a half to the venue.  I still wasn't feeling awesome, but definitely better than the night before.


My nerves were on high alert as we tried to get there on time and as I thought about the people I'd be reuniting with that evening.  The ceremony was perfect.  It was outdoors at the home of the bride on a beautiful little pond in the middle of nowhere, Indiana.  The weather didn't cooperate so well and it rained during the ceremony, but it was perfect because the bride and groom didn't care.  People brought out some umbrellas and they continued as if nothing were wrong.  Immediately my mind I was thinking about how awful my hair was going to look once it fro-ed out, but as I watched the couple standing there, embracing the weather I did too.  I've been to a lot of weddings where a lot of brides would have panicked in a similar situation, but as we lifted out voices in worship to the Lord, nothing else mattered but bringing Him glory.  It was a little glimpse of heaven.


The reception was fantastic and we had a blast!  I thoroughly enjoyed seeing so many people I had only seen in Uganda before.  What a joy to celebrate in America together and get caught up on life after serving in Uganda.  There was no discord, only joy and peace.  Thanks be to God.  I count myself blessed to know such a loving, servant-hearted group of people who desire to further God's kingdom in all that they do!


We got home late that evening, but I wanted to take advantage of the short time I had with my Indiana friend.  Instead of going to bed we went out and got dessert and then stayed up until about 2 playing a game.  Around 3:30 I finally drifted off to sleep, only to wake up at 7 to get ready for church.  We went to church where I was greeted by some youth kids that I just love so dearly.  I didn't know that a few of them were even in town, as they're college students right now... what a sweet surprise.  It was awesome to reconnect with the church family there... a place that's been so familiar for the 5.5 years, since my friend has worked there.  I've been blessed to know these kids and watch them grow from middle school to college.  What an extreme honor to be a part of such a group. 


After church we all went out to lunch and hung out for a while before the girls and I got back on the road to come home.  The ride back was not nearly as fun as the ride out.  I was very ready to be home after not sleeping for so long.  Our conversation was good as we tried to keep each other awake.  After dropping our student off in PA, we got home around 1am.  I played with with my puppy until about 2 before feeling so exhausted that I didn't think I would even make it upstairs.  I woke up at 9 or 10 with plans to go back to sleep as soon as I took care of the dog.

All in all it was a fantastic weekend.  Laughing until tears flow is one of my favorite things to do... and it happened a LOT.  Beyond the laughter, the sweet times, good conversations, and memories with everyone I was able to see is what I'm most thankful for.


It was a bit strange to be just one state away from home and to not see my family.  My brain naturally goes west when I'm leaving my friend's apartment.  I wouldn't say it was hard to go east because this place has quickly become home, but it was just different.  It's so interesting how engrained certain things become... how much creatures of habit we actually are. 


I miss hugging my nieces, playing, painting nails,, singing, and putting them to bed.  I miss seeing them everyday, watching them grow, hearing their little voices as they learn new words and concepts.  I miss my brother, sister, brother-in-law, and my parents.  Today I'm resting in the assurance that this is where I've been called, that this is my home for now.  This world is only my temporary home, anyways.  :)

I'll leave you with a quote that I love by Louie Giglio from his book "i am not, but i know I AM"...


Simply because He wanted to, He fashioned each of us to His own image, creating within us the capacity to know Him. And if that wasn't staggering enough, in spite of our foolishness and rebellious hearts, God has pursued us with relentless passion and patience, fully expressing to us His unfathomable love through the mercy and grace of the cross of His Son, Jesus Christ."

Amen.

No comments: