Sunday, April 6, 2014

Living Above the Clouds Again

It seems like the seasons have remembered their roles.  Fall was beautiful and vibrant; the weather stayed decent longer than I expected it would.  Winter really lived up to it's name and maybe even overcompensated a bit.  It was beautiful at times, yet it became draining.  Living under constant cloud cover is exhausting.  Spring has awakened the earth and has already brought many days of rain with many more to come, this week included.  With all of the days of rain ahead and Spring doing it's job- bringing the earth back to life- we will be clouded again, temporarily separated from the sun.

We go through seasons in our lives too.  Maybe our moods/attitudes shift with the earth as it journeys around the sun.  The other day as I was reflecting on some seasons in my own life, I found that there have been times when I've lived like I'll never see the sun again.  Maybe you have too.  Many do.  The truth is, the sun has NEVER ceased to shine... not once since the beginning of time.

The Lord gave me the image of a plane's journey during take-off and landing on a dreary, rainy day.  I can picture it clearly because I've been on so many flights like that.  I take the window seat whenever possible.  I love gazing out over creation, even if I've flown that same path many times.  I never want to miss an opportunity to catch a glimpse.  On a rainy day though, there's not much to see at first.  Sitting on the tarmac is gray and gloomy.  When the plane starts moving and the earth starts shrinking, visibility is limited, unlike on clear days when you can see for miles.  Soon the earth is just a memory as the plane is engulfed in the clouds.  There's nothingness.  It's blank.  And then it begins to get lighter.  The plane continues it's ascent, climbing higher and higher.  Finally it bursts through the clouds and there's nothing but blinding light and clear skies.  NOW you can see for miles.  Now you can imagine yourself dancing and spinning on the clouds, free from burden and the weight that's been holding you down.  Life above the clouds is always sunny and bright.  For a time, it's exhilarating.  Breathing is somehow easier up there (though without the plane it would be impossible).

And then, like all planes do, it starts it's decent.  Heading slowly back down towards the clouds isn't so bad at first.  There's still so much to see.  Even once you're back in the clouds, the first minute or so is intriguing.  But as you break through on the other side, back to the gloom and gray, the exhilaration you felt just minutes before fades.  Returning to earth under the cover of the clouds once again can be discouraging.

What would it look like to live above the clouds?  To know that even in the storms and on the ugliest days on earth, the sun is still shining bright?  To let go of fear and insecurity and trust in the God who created it all?  What does that look like for you?

Today, for me, that looks like resting in Exodus 14:14 like I mentioned in my previous post.  "The Lord will fight for you; you need only be still."

I found this video when I was looking for the lyrics of the song, Called me Higher by All Sons and Daughters.  It fits pretty well with the image that God has given me (minus the clouds) and the song is stunning.  Enjoy.

No comments: