Monday, September 14, 2009

Jesus Made Me Chuckle This Weekend...

The Lord moves in ways that we never expect. He just never ceases to amaze me and I can’t help but worship Him. He makes me chuckle sometimes… ☺. This weekend the plan was to meet up with a friend and drive down to Birmingham, Alabama for the weekend. Jade and Shelah Acker (Lino’s guardians) are in the States and I would never pass up an opportunity to visit with them. So Thursday night I began my journey after work. Luckily the route that takes me to Alabama is packed with people I love! So I spent Thursday night in Indianapolis with a friend. Friday was very leisurely in that I slept in, took my time getting ready, had lunch, and then hit the road to Louisville. Here’s where the story begins… On my drive towards Louisville I was blessed to get a phone call from dear friends in Uganda. They were quite entertaining and kept me going along the LONG road. I was so happy and excited about talking with them that I got to my next stop in no time. As soon as I hung up the phone with them and went to restart my car after getting fuel, my passenger side window rolled itself down. I thought that maybe I had hit the window button or something, but I wasn’t even close to touching it. It wouldn’t have been a big deal except for the fact that the window refused to roll itself back up. So there I was, driving along at 80 mile per hours with the HOT wind in my hair when I began to feel sick. So I pulled over, leaving everything (computer included) in my car with a window that was permanently stuck in the down position, and headed for the restroom. After a one other stop like that, the medicine kicked in and I started to feel better, but it was still hot and I still had hundreds of miles to go… by myself (my traveling buddy backed out at the last minute). I was able to stop and hang out with a friend from college for a bit near Louisville and get myself reenergized.
As I got back in my car for the next 3-hour leg of the journey I began to feel defeated. I realized how disappointed I was that I had to travel by myself when I was looking forward to a road trip with a friend. Then I started to have a pity party for myself about my now broken car window. The journey didn’t seem as great at that moment.
Then I was quickly reminded of some scripture that I had been reading that morning. I had just flipped to the Psalms for a quick read before leaving Indy and I came across Psalm 44. The people were feeling quite defeated, they was being attacked by their enemies on all sides feeling very separated from God. Their battles were being lost and they were crying out for God to hear them. When I read that I was thinking, “you silly people. Don’t you see God hasn’t left you? Just because things aren’t going your way or the way you had planned does not mean that God has deserted you.” But somehow, through the little trials I was experiencing during what was SUPPOSED to be a glorious weekend, I was just as defeated as these warriors were. Then I remembered the next two Psalms after that. Psalm 46 says:
God is our refuge and strength,
always ready to help in times of trouble.

So we will not fear when earthquakes come
and the mountains crumble into the sea.
Let the oceans roar and foam.
Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge!
A river brings joy to the city of our God,

the sacred home of the Most High.

God dwells in that city; it cannot be destroyed.

From the very break of day, God will protect it.

The nations are in chaos,

and their kingdoms crumble!

God’s voice thunders,

and the earth melts!

The Lord of Heaven’s Armies is here among us;

the God of Israel is our fortress.
Come, see the glorious works of the Lord:

See how he brings destruction upon the world.

He causes wars to end throughout the earth.

He breaks the bow and snaps the spear;

he burns the shields with fire.
Be still, and know that I am God!

I will be honored by every nation.

I will be honored throughout the world.”
The Lord of Heaven’s Armies is here among us;

the God of Israel is our fortress

I was immediately in awe of Jesus… so thankful for the reminders that He gives throughout each day of His presence and His faithfulness. Clearly my little troubles of a tummy ache, broken window, and lonely car trip were not as impending as being attacked by armies of my enemies, but I did begin to feel defeated about something I was once SO very excited about. The enemy was trying to take my joy. Luckily I have God on my side. So the trip to Nashville was a sweet time of worship and prayer and laughter… especially as the rain began to fall and make it’s way into my vehicle. I couldn’t help but chuckle. The anxiety dissipated and I kept on rolling. When I got to Nashville I borrowed a garbage bag, taped up my window and quickly forgot about as I reunited with a great friend. It was a blessing to hang with Meghan for the night and morning… we even got to spend some time in downtown Nashville… something I hadn’t done in a few years. ☺
As noon approached on Saturday, I removed the plastic from my car and began my journey to Alabama where I had a fabulous time hanging out with Jade and Shelah and some other really fun friends that I met in Uganda. It was so cool to just have time to sit and chat and catch up on their lives and the lives of the Sudanese guys. Seeing their girls was so sweet! Anna-Grace was SO excited to see me… she ran and gave me a HUGE hug as if I’d never left Uganda. She’s too cute!
My trip back was a bit less eventful, but it was sure not missing the Lord’s presence. One night while driving I realized I was getting real cold and even with the heat, the cool night air was biting. I was having a convo with Jesus and just happened to mention that I was feeling cold… a few minutes later my window was half-way up and I hadn’t touched anything. I though, “um ok… this is weird.” To my delight/shock/joy/amazement my window rolled all the way up and I was warm and safe inside my car with just a short bit of my journey remaining. I can’t explain it other than that Jesus is awesome and the electrical system in my car is crazy!
As far as weekends go, I couldn’t have asked for a better one. I mean, time with Jesus, time with friends along the road, time talking to my buddies in Uganda (a few times actually, thanks for calling guys!), time with my Uganda family in Alabama, and then time with Trent’s youth kids on the way back... what more can you ask for out of a weekend, really??
So that’s the story and that’s what God and I were up to this weekend. This is a short but busy week filled with work, meetings, worship team practice, and another drive down to Indy on Friday. Would you pray for energy throughout the week? Also, I’m going as an adult leader on Trent’s junior high youth retreat (hence the reason I’m driving to Indy again)… just pray for the student’s heart to be open and pray for a good time to connect with them. Oh! Also… Heritage International School (where I taught last year in Uganda) is getting ready for and going on their fall retreat this week. Please, please pray for the Spirit to fall on the kids, pray for the speaker, pray for the music, and please pray for safety. Thanks so much everyone!
Well now that I’m home from the weekend and done updating you all… I’m gonna attempt a nap. ☺

No comments: