Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Chicken Slaughter

Well Jodi and Jacob are back safely in America, bags and all. Sounds like they had a pretty uneventful trip home and that's just the way I like it. I know I've already said this, but having them here was a huge blessing. We had so much fun on safari and I really enjoyed the other days we had off when we were able to just be here and in the city. I loved showing them Kampala and what my life is about. I look back on our three weeks and think about all of the things that we did and saw and I'm amazed. Why amazed? For the most part everything went really well. We didn't have any major problems with anything. There are always a few things that come up that are annoying, but their trip here was relatively smooth. WGM people were great and very gracious. Jacob was able to stay on my compound, just next door the whole time instead of having to be down the hill from us. We had a blast having a water balloon fight with my neighbors and enjoying lunch with them. They were welcomed so nicely at retreat too.

My prayer now is that they are forever changed. I feel like I could have done a better job showing them why I love this place. I could have done better at not complaining when little things came up. Ultimately though, God is bigger than all of those things and I know He wants to show them big things. There is so much beauty here... in the smiles on people's faces as you walk by, in the scenery, in people's honest search and need for God. I hope they saw those things. One of the most important parts of my ministry is relationships and I'm really glad that they got to meet so many of the people I come in contact with every day. Between coming to some church services, hanging with Heritage students, coming to my ESL class at the Centre of Hope, and hanging with the Sudanese guys I hope they got a taste of what I do. I just have to keep reminding myself that Jesus is in control and will be glorified.

So aside from running sports camps, we were able to visit a baby home (orphanage), go to the Equator, buy a goat and some chickens, slaughter those chickens for dinner, go to the village, go on safari including a boat ride on the Nile river, and so many other things. It seems like everyday was an adventure. I especially liked killing the chickens... I was glad that they were able to experience that while here. Not that we don't do that in the States, but I feel like it's a bit different here. The new goat is curtesy of the support that Jodi and Jacob raised. His name is Lazarus. Here's hoping this one doesn't get stolen too. RIP Nico. Here's a lovely video of Lino and Hussein killing our dinner...


So after going nonstop for the past 3 weeks or so, I dropped the kids off at the airport at 6am Sunday morning. From there I came home, showered, and left for "visit day" for the Sudanese guys in boarding school. After I picked up Lino, we met Francis in town, and headed out to Abraham's school. We only spent about an hour there because we got permission to take him out of school for the day. The four of us then went to lunch at the mall (it was a really nice lunch for Abraham since all he's been eating at school is pocho.) and then went home and hung out for the afternoon. I left to go to a prayer meeting at five and then went right back to join everyone for volleyball and dinner. I left there at 9pm, came home and hung out with 3 former Heritage students until about 2:30am. Needless to say, I was exhausted from nearly a month of little to no sleep. I crashed heard, but was awoken by a 7am phone call (which I ignored) and then again at 9. So after about 6 good hours of sleep I got up and started my day of running errands. By about 2pm I was beyond exhausted, but we were having out 4th of July celebration/bbq as a mission at 4. I laid down for an hour because I had a ridiculous headache and then when 4 arrived it was back up and at 'em. At 9pm I couldn't hardly stay awake, even though we were playing a rousing game of 4 square on my patio. I went to my room got ready for bed and was asleep by about 9:30pm. I only woke up once when my roommate blew a fuse and my fan went off. I got up, switched the breaker and was back asleep within 10 minutes. I didn't wake up until 9am this morning. It was glorious! I spent most of the day cleaning and trying to catch up on emails. I'm still WAY behind, so please have patience with me. You're not forgotten!

Anyways, thank you for all who prayed for Jodi and Jacob's trip. I know we had some awesome prayer warriors and Jesus answered your prayers! I also want to thank those who have been praying for my health. The mono type symptoms that I had for a month are finally gone. I was kind of sick the first few days of last week and for a day of safari, but since then I've been fine. The headaches are much less intense and almost gone and I'm not feeling so exhausted anymore (aside from the lack of sleep thing). I'm thankful for the prayers and thankful to be feeling so much better. I'm at about 97%, which is a nerd thing to say, but I just did, so deal with it. :) Much love to you all!

No comments: