Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"Woe is Me"

Over the last few months I've had quite a few "woe is me" moments.  It's easy to feel bad when you've got no money, no car, and no job.  However for the past few weeks the Lord has given me some sweet reminders of His love through some past experiences.  He loves to take my hand and heal my heart and He continues to do so.  I've decided to list some of the ways that I've felt so loved over the years in one way or another.

  • Parents who love enough to let go... even at the age of 16
  • Friends who stepped up as family when I was without mine
  • Strong church family ties
  • True brothers and sisters in Christ who continue to love me in spite of myself
  • A sweet kiss on a difficult day
  • My brother's nonjudgemental heart
  • An airplane ticket purchased by (at the time) new friends so I could fly across the country and visit for a weekend
  • College roommate... best friend, sister
  • My family's open door and support right now
  • Nieces who melt my heart... even on their naughtiest days
  • Texts, calls, and love from my African family
  • Bitter torrents of tears falling from students eyes (and mine) as I say goodbye
  • Youth kids sending packages of love 9,000 miles
  • A good friend holding me after I wrecked my car at 18 years old
  • A nutcracker in my mailbox
  • Little notes around my room from my nieces that say "I love you" in sloppy 4/7 year old hand writing
  • Support of parents through bad choices and financial mistakes
  • A boyfriend taking my hand knowing my palms will be sweaty... thank you Dad for those genes
  • Parents of youth encouraging and trusting
  • 19 year olds who traveled 9,000 miles to see me and experience a bit of my life in UG
  • Roommates who wake up at 5:30am to pray with you
  • Mentors/friends that have stuck around for 15 years to love and encourage
  • People who know my faults and sins, yet continue to love and help me grow
  • A brother-in-law who doesn't let me sulk or leave me alone, even if he knows it'll end in tears
  • An awesome traditional outfit given to me as a gift from my students and their family
  • Henna
  • Youth kids who run and jump just because I show up
  • Friends of the family who opened their home
  • Extended family gatherings when my family is far
  • A gathering of 4 friends... in Christ during one of the most trying times of our friendships
  • A mix tape gift
  • Meals served by those with much less than me
  • Life and culture lessons from Sudanese brothers
  • A pizza from my favorite place thanks to my sister
  • Baby E's response to me
  • My mom sleeping at the hospital with me after my appendix ruptured
  • My dad pushing us to do our best from gymnastics to soccer to choir
  • My dad pushing through each day, calling to check up, putting me first despite his suffering
  • My mom always giving everything she has... even giving what she doesn't have.  Selfless
  • My big sister standing up to a bully for me
  • My little brother, trusting implicitly 
  • My "Africa mom" taking care of me after a little surgery
  • People protecting me during tense times of rioting
  • Being welcomed into a family and cared for well... especially when I tore a ligament in my knee and dislocated my thumb.  Volleyball is extreme with the Ackers.
  • Studio_10
The list could go on and on.  Usually when I've exhausted myself from job hunting for the day, I spend some time with the Lord.  For some reason during my prayer times each of these situations or people have made their way in at some point, so I thought I'd write some of them.  Mostly this is a reminder for me to look at if a "woe is me" day pops up anytime soon. 

No comments: