Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Actions on Camera

A week ago my sister scored free tickets to the Cubs vs. Cardinals game and let me tell you... the seats were awesome!  We've never sat that close in a regular season game before, let alone a regular season game against our biggest rivalry.  Cubs/Card games are usually pretty intense and the crowd is not friendly.  There are always a lot of Cards fans and they're always being obnoxious, even audacious seeing as though they're on our turf at Wrigley.  All of that to say that it was a great game and yes, the Cubs won!!
Waiting for the game to begin!
This pic shows just how close we sat  :)
Our seats, being 3 rows above the visitor's dugout, were on camera every single time there was a lefty up to bat.  We joked about being sure not to pick our noses or do anything super embarrassing because we were bound to be on tv quite a bit.  Throughout the game I was very aware that the camera was on me.  I was very aware that people would be able to see nearly all of my actions.  I'm not vain enough to believe that people were actually watching me the whole time instead of the players, only that I would be one of those people in the background, on camera the whole time.  (One of those people that I personally like to watch because they normally do embarrassing things.)

Being so aware that others could see my every move, I was careful with my actions.  I started to wonder if I'm always careful with my actions in my day to day life.  Am I living in such a way (above the clouds, see previous post) that my actions lead people towards Christ?  That's how I'm called to live, at least that's what I've observed from the life and ministry of Christ on earth and the ministry of His apostles to the early church and beyond.  Do my actions exude light and love?  When people see me am I honoring the Lord?  Do my words point to Christ?  What about the way that I drive my car or the way that I interact with cashiers?  They should.  If I'm truly living my life in a way that's pleasing to the Lord and Kingdom focused, than my actions will be a result of that.

I love this first part of Psalm 119.  (The whole psalm is good, but this sticks out to me tonight.)

Psalm 119:1-8

"Joyful are the people of integrity,
who follow the instructions of the Lord.
Joyful are those who obey his laws
and search for him with all their hearts.
They do not compromise with evil,
and they walk only in his paths.
You have charged us
to keep your commandments carefully.
Oh, that my actions would consistently 
reflect your decrees!
Then I will not be ashamed
when I compare my life with your commands.
As I learn you righteous regulations,
I will thank you by living as I should!
I will obey your decrees.
Please don't give up on me!"

Lord, may my actions consistently reflect your decree, your life.  Amen.


ps As we watched bits and pieces of the DVR'd version of the game, we were definitely on camera a lot.  Good thing I NEVER do anything ridiculous!  Ha!

No comments: