Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Forgetting the Past

I have a big decision to make regarding a job.  The decision needs to be made soon... very soon.  There are many reasons I'm struggling to decide what to do, but the main thing for me right now is settling into a comfortable American lifestyle (especially since I really would love be in Africa right now).  One of my job offers will have me living very comfortably... too comfortably if I'm not careful.  I don't want to be one of those people who spend over $100 on a night out with friends.  I don't need to spend money to have fun and be happy.  It will be an easy lifestyle to slip into though and I guess that's my biggest concern.  I don't want to live like I've got money even if I do.  I don't want to "forget" to to tithe because I "needed" to get my nails done or something.  I'm not judging, just trying to prevent myself from doing something I don't want to do or living in a way I don't feel honors God to the best of my abilities.

I've not always lived in a way that is honoring to God.  I've definitely messed up along my faith journey and will probably continue to mess up throughout my life.  I have some things in my past that keep coming to mind as I pursue holiness and they've made me realize that I'm bound by those things.  I've been studying Philippians for about a week now and all of these verses that I've read over and over throughout my walk are hitting me in very new and fresh ways.  The Holy Spirit has been opening my eyes and freeing my heart.

One particular passage that I've read and pretty much memorized is the "pressing toward the goal" passage in chapter 3.  Paul just got done briefly recounting his life and journey, reiterating that he of all people knows what he's gained in knowing Jesus.  As a result of his former life he really knows and experiences Christ and His power.  He then goes on to say this, "No, dear friends, I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven." Phil 3:13-14

"Forgetting the past" jumped off the page for me when I read it.  It hit me like a ton of bricks.  Again, I've read this over and over during the last 15 and a half years (wow, I'm old!) of my life and I've always loved the victorious nature of really pursuing holiness... especially as Paul calls the Church at Philippi to do.  Paul knew he had a nasty past... he let that past fuel his desire to run as far from that as he could because he knew what life in Christ was like... so much better than anything he had known prior.  It wasn't until this past week that the Spirit really grabbed my heart and told me that I'm free from these past sins; that I need to stop focusing on what I've done wrong and start straining towards what's ahead.  To continue to focus on living in a way that is pleasing to the Lord, letting the shame of the past be gone and not letting it define who I am right now.

All of that said, there are pros and cons to the few different job options that I have right now and I just want to make sure that no matter which choice I make, I'm straining towards what's ahead, forgetting the past (and not allowing it to define who I am or what I do).  I want to make sure that I'm living in a way that pleases God and furthers the Kingdom by fulfilling the Great Commission.

Any and all prayers for further wisdom and discernment are much appreciated.  Having to make such a big decision is a good problem to have, I suppose.  Peace!

No comments: