Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Into His Mercy and Grace

This is my short little entry from the daily devotional for Lent book at church:

"So then, since we have a great High Priest who has entered heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to what we believe. 15 This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same testings we do, yet he did not sin. 16 So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.” Hebrews 4:14-16

The God of the universe, Creator of all, the great I AM invites each of us to approach the throne with boldness.  The first time I read that I was amazed and yet somehow puzzled.  How could I, the worst of all sinners, approach God’s throne - and with boldness at that?  How assumingly audacious! 


I always imagined myself standing before God, but with my head tilted down, eyes on my feet, unable to look into His face because I’m so unworthy.  But through the years as I’ve walked closely with the Lord and studied this scripture more deeply, I’ve come to realize that it is because of Christ’s life, death, and resurrection that I can approach the throne.  But not just approach the throne, approach it courageously because His throne is a throne of grace, and our High Priest, Jesus, sits at His right hand interceding for us. 


So do you hear Him?  He’s beckoning you into His presence.  Calling you into his mercy and grace.  His arms are outstretched, patiently waiting.  Are you quiet enough to hear?

Can you see Him?  A Father who kneels down so His child can reach up and embrace Him?  Strength and power like no other, yet tender and soothing… a comforter.  There is peace in His presence.  Do you trust Him? 

Thank you Lord, that you call us into Your presence and you ask us to come just as we are.  Loving Father, help us to have child-like faith to trust You as we sink ever more deeply into your arms and rest in You.

No comments: