Monday, October 27, 2014

Culture of Christ

I'm sure some of you have heard the song "Try" by Colbie Caillat.  If not, here's the video.

I love the heart and the message of this song.  It makes me think of ALL of the different things (not just hair and make-up) that we try to hide behind in order to feel lovely and important/worthy.

Don't we all have insecurities that we live with and that keep us from being free to be our best?  I do!  From my physical appearance to my musical ability and everything in between.  My mind has been busy with thoughts of these insecurities lately... so much so that I've found myself becoming a bit inward at times.  

As I've been praying through some of this, the Lord has been speaking to my heart about these areas of insecurity.  Though we live in a worldly culture, the culture of Christ doesn't define things in the same way.  Culture says I should wear a certain size, have my hair done a certain way, that my skin should be perfect and accented by amazingly long eye lashes, that I should be climbing the corporate ladder, and making lots of money.  Jesus says, "I love You.  I love every inch of you.  I love your soul.  I am enough and it's through me that you are made whole"  None of that other stuff matters to Him.  He chooses to love me no matter what I look like, who I marry, or how much money I make.  He chooses to use me and all of my imperfections to further His kingdom.  All He asks is that I love, trust, and put my faith in Him.  And then through that commitment comes a deep, intimate relationship with Jesus that bears much fruit.  Amazing, right?

Oh Jesus, help me to love like you and to look at the beauty of You working in others.

I want to be defined by Christ in me, not by the things of Earth.  That's the desire of my heart.  I want to love Jesus so deeply that it reflects in each and every interaction I have.

"But thanks be to God, who always leads us as captives in Christ’s triumphal procession and uses us to spread the aroma of the knowledge of him everywhere.  For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing."  2 Corinthians 2:14-15

No comments: