Monday, February 1, 2010

Words

I was asked by a friend to describe them in three words... so I did. Then I turned the questions back, interested to hear their answer for me. The three words used to describe me were: untraditional, loyal, and real. Loyal and real were easy for me to agree with because I do my best to make sure that I keep those that are important to me close by.
I have always played the role of peacekeeper, in my family and in my different groups of friends. I think I've played that role because I hate when people give up on each other... I don't understand it because it's not how I've ever been. It amazes me when people let a friendship die either over something dumb, or it just fades with time. I'm not a fan of that at all. I will always do my best to treasure friends and family and remain loyal to them. The Lord gives us gifts in our friends and families even if they don't recognize Him as the Giver Of All Things. Not to say that it's always easy to deal with all your friends... and it's never easy to deal with family all the time. Jesus has given me a great capacity to love others and I see it as a blessing. If we're good friends chances are, I'm not letting you go. :) K, that may have sounded a little creepy, but I think you get the point.
Real. I agreed with this adjective too. If there's one thing that I really strive for it's to be real and honest. I'm not one to sugar-coat things or tell you something just to make you feel better. As harsh as that may seem I think it's the best way to be. Now thankfully I have learned how to be tactful and also mindful of people's feelings, so this quality is something I'm glad I've been able to show. I really appreciate when people are real to me. A big pet peeve of mine is when someone is being fake just to appease someone else. Nothing good comes of trying to be someone that you're not.
Then I got to untraditional and wasn't pleased about it. I've always thought of myself as somewhat normal (right?? Maybe??) so untraditional sounded like something I didn't want to be. I knew I wasn't supposed to read into it, but being a girl I couldn't let it go. I needed to understand what that meant. Luckily I was given an explanation. The definition I was given is this: "not satisfied with status quo; not going to do everything that everybody else does just because that is the way they do it." After hearing this I began to think through certain situations and interactions with different people and groups. I decided that this was a pretty accurate way to describe part of who I am. I do have this tendency to challenge authority when I don't think something is being done correctly. This isn't always done in the most tactful way and it's sometimes a hindrance. I get myself into trouble by offering up my opinion when it wasn't asked for. I like to see things happen quickly and efficiently and when there's something I can do to help a process along, I do it. I don't like being told something has to be done a particular way when I can see another way. Sometimes I find that I'm right, but sometimes I'm too stubborn to admit that I wasn't. I don't think we're supposed to always be ok with the status quo. Being untraditional is ok by me if it means always trying to better myself and the situations around me with the Lord's leading. It's not ok when I think I can take charge and come in and change things without regard to anyone else.
So for the past few weeks I've been thinking over these words and trying to see how they play out in my everyday life. It's been interesting to learn new things about myself and it's given me good insight into how I react to certain people and situations. My communication background definitely helps me understand others, but I don't often use it to analyze myself and the way I relate with others. Interesting... well, for me it is. Words are so powerful.
Anyway, moving on. I'm really excited with the way things are going with ministry right now. I was privileged to lead worship for the middle school lock-in on Friday night... I'm having a fantastic time with the youth kids at WSC and I looking forward to what God has to teach me this week with them. For Sunday school we're doing Alpha (http://www.alphausa.org) and I get to have my small group discussion with the seniors. They're a fun group of kids and I'm enjoying getting to know some of those that don't come for youth group. I'm looking forward to some changes this week and some sweet times with Jesus and the kids. So many are crying out and wanting to go deeper, and some aren't in that place, but Jesus commands us to preach the good news to all nations and that means the lost who show up on wednesday nights. Would you join me in prayer for the youth and leadership at WSC? I'm pretty excited to head down to Indy this weekend. NO I'm not a Colts fan... in fact I really hope they lose, but I'm pumped to see the youth kids down there! Would you also join me in praying for the youth and leadership at New Hope Pres? God is moving in big ways all over the place. Some times I don't recognize it and I even grow weary, but His love never fails. Never. Isn't that such a sweet promise to hold onto? That's what I'm clinging to this morning.
Psalm 111 is so beautiful...
1 Praise the Lord!
I will thank the Lord with all my heart
as I meet with his godly people.
2 How amazing are the deeds of the Lord!
All who delight in him should ponder them.
3 Everything he does reveals his glory and majesty.
His righteousness never fails.
4 He causes us to remember his wonderful works.
How gracious and merciful is our Lord!
5 He gives food to those who fear him;
he always remembers his covenant.
6 He has shown his great power to his people
by giving them the lands of other nations.
7 All he does is just and good,
and all his commandments are trustworthy.
8 They are forever true,
to be obeyed faithfully and with integrity.
9 He has paid a full ransom for his people.
He has guaranteed his covenant with them forever.
What a holy, awe-inspiring name he has!
10 Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true wisdom.
All who obey his commandments will grow in wisdom.
Praise him forever!

This is from the NLT and I absolutely love the phrasing of verse 9. "What a holy, awe-inspiring name he has!" Amen to that. I love this reminder of the awesomeness of God. Revel in it today.
I just finished reading Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers for the first time in about 8 or 10 years. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it! I'm not really into fiction books (with a few exceptions of course), but it is fantastic. It paints such a beautiful picture of God's perfect love for us. It really does inspire to love deeper.
Thanks for sticking with this very jumble entry this morning. Blessings to you all.

No comments: