Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Different

Different. That's the word I would use to describe this term here in Uganda. Not bad, but very different. Last time my focus was on my students and the youth at Heritage International School and my lovely bible study ladies from Kampala International University. I spent most (if not all) of my time building and nurturing relationships, caring for people, and loving on them as much as I could. This time I've spent a lot of time working behind the scenes, if you will, on various projects for WGM. On the side I've been teaching ESL to amazing refugees at the Centre of Hope and I was hanging with the youth at Heritage for a while too. Well now that Lino and Angelo are gone and I'm not rooming with any teachers, I don't feel connected to Heritage at all. It's a very strange feeling to be in Kampala and not have a reason to hang out at Heritage. They now have two people working with the youth at the school and I definitely don't feel needed there. Also, not being a teacher there it might be weird for me to just be hanging around a bunch of teenagers. (don't want to be too much of a creeper, you know?)

My relational outlet comes when I'm teaching at the Centre and I'm so very thankful to be a part of the ministry there. Nothing brightens my day more than walking onto the compound and being greeted by at least 5-10 of my students who are just hanging out, waiting for class to start. I recently reconnected with one of my girls who has been given the chance to go to school... she was on holiday and visiting the Centre. She, out of no where, came up to me to say thank you for the things we learned in reading and writing class. She said the practicality of it has been extremely helpful and she's grateful for me. When you're having a rough day, what more could you want to hear to brighten it up? I felt very blessed to be a part of God's work there. I'm teaching a new class there now and some from my other class have transfered into my new class because they like my teaching style. Its just amazing to me.

I've also been able to still hang out with the Sudanese guys a lot. We've had some really good conversations and we're still learning a whole lot from one another. Their school holiday is over now and they're all back at school. All but one of them goes to boarding school so needless to say it's quiet around here... especially since Lino and Angelo are in Canada. :( Unfortunately, as I'm sure you've seen me post on facebook, the region where the guys are from in Sudan is intense and very dangerous with fighting. One them has a father who has been captured by the government in the north for being associated with the "rebels" in the south. It's very messy and very scary. Even one of my students from the Centre of hope has been captured. He was a child soldier with the south, like my guys, and was home visiting over the school holiday. We've not heard anything since we heard that he was captured. There are many uncertainties right now and my guys are all struggling, not knowing how their families are doing. Most of their families have fled. Thousands have fled to Ethiopia. The guys just began their last term of the school year. It's vital that they do well in order to move up a grade, and one is in line to finish and graduate in November. Please pray for their minds and hearts as they are in school, unable to communicate with their families. Pray also for their souls and for them to come to know Jesus as their personal savior.

Lino and Angelo are adjusting and doing well in Canada. They both tried out for and made the varsity soccer team in their first week of school. No surprise there at all. However academically it's already proved to be a bit of a challenge for both of them. Angelo skipped a grade here in Kampala and is short on credits. Both guys are having to take extra class (hard classes) in order to graduate on time in June. We've skyped a few times and it's always so good to see their smiling faces. They are certainly very missed here. I was at Heritage for an event on Friday night and it was my first time on campus since they left... it was definitely NOT fun without them! Anyways, I'm so very proud of them and I'm looking forward to seeing them in the near-ish future. Depending on where they are for spring break I may go visit them. If that doesn't work I'm going to try to go up there in June for their graduation. Pray for them as they continue to adjust to life in the west. Pray for the minds as they are stretched to new levels academically. Pray for their hearts and mental statuses being 9,000 miles away from home and 2 of a total of 4 black people in a giant school. As always pray for their souls. They need to know Jesus. I've been praying for Godly men/friends to show up in their lives in Canada. Join me.

So anyways I'm not sure where I was going with this, other than to say that things are very different right now. I'm still in love with this place and count myself very blessed to be living here and experiencing this part of God's cast creation. Most days, there's no where in the world I would rather be. I love going to the grocery store for something as simple as eggs and finding chicken feathers in the carton. I love hearing the crazy birds squawking at each other all day long. I love watching the sunrise over Lake Victoria through the morning fog. I love taking boda rides instead of driving when I want to zone out and enjoy the beauty of this place. I love seeing the beauty in nearly everything that I'm surrounded by. What a glorious gift from Jesus to be here. Thanks be to God.

No comments: