Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Very Place

A week ago I went to Buziga, which the the area where the Jade, Shelah, and the Sudanese guys stay. I was going to go swimming, read, and relax at this place just up the hill from them. When I get there I decided I didn't want to spend the money to go swimming, so I walked down to this field where the guys used to play football and volleyball. I sat under a giant tree that looked pretty dead at first, but once laying under it I realized that there were small blooms everywhere. There was hope. After laying there for an hour reading, praying, and listening to music, I headed home. After not wanting to spend money at the pool I couldn't convince myself to spend more money on a boda. So I just started walking. It's about a 5 mile walk home, but that thought didn't even cross my mind. I put on some Passion worship music and began my journey. I walked the familiar road taking in all of the sights and sounds that I always miss from my car or a boda.

Children played and stopped only to look at me and wave. People worked, relaxed, and played along the way. Many people walk those roads and hike those hills everyday. I loved it. I didn't even mind as the sweat dripped because it was a beautiful time of worship. I passed two different wedding ceremonies in progress. Huge amounts of people dressed in their absolute best to celebrate a new stage in people's lives. I passed a couple of very tiny, adorable, baby goats that made me smile as they stumbled around and played.

When walking down the main road, bodas and matatus (taxis) kept stopping to offer me a ride, but I didn't even think twice about continuing my journey. I walked towards a large billboard which was a resting place for two giant Marabou Storks. They were perched high atop the billboard and they both had their wings spread. I'm pretty sure they were saying, "yeah? what's up? bring it on!" They looked so menacing, but I couldn't help but laugh out loud. It reminded me of Finding Nemo when those crabs are guarding the pipe where the bubbles come out saying, "hey! heeeey!!" So funny.

As I started up one of the bigger hills I was greeted by yet another wedding ceremony. This one was taking place on both sides of this tiny dirt road. It was awkward especially because I had to walk through covered in sweat as they were all sitting there looking so fancy. However no one cared or made faces... they didn't even laugh at my determination as I hike up past them.

It didn't take me near as long as I thought it would and it was incredibly refreshing amidst the craziness of my weekly schedule. I needed to clear my head and spend a day with the Jesus. Uganda has my heart in it's grip... and that's quite the feat considering how heavy my heart has been. I'm praying for clarity and obvious direction from the Lord. Would you pray with me?

One of the youth kids here had this to say about Uganda yesterday and I loved it: "Dirt roads, dust, little kids, makeshift toys, motorcycles, taxi's, and the heat of the sun shining down on us. You may not even know the name of this place. But I do. This is the very place I call home."

Here I am with Lino and Angelo at their going away party


And here I am with Lino just hours before I took them to the airport

No comments: