Friday, October 21, 2011

Internet Issues

The Centre of Hope had a week break from classes this week.  It's been strange and I've been missing my students a ton!  I'm so excited to see them all on Tuesday and do Bible study with them on Wednesday.  This week I've spent a lot of time working on a newsletter for one of my projects.  Schools here are on the year-round system, so the year is coming to a close next month.  On of my main projects this year has been a sponsorship program for Kikongo Primary school out on Buvuma Island.  We have about 150 students sponsored right now and we're working on a renewal campaign.  I'm hoping that every single sponsor sticks with their student again for this coming year.

The internet has been terribly unreliable this week, so it's been a bit of a slow process.  It's amazing the things I take for granted.  The last time I was in Uganda the internet was SLOW.  And I mean, SLOW!  It was almost as bad as the old dial-up in the States.  This time it's been fast enough to video skype and even to watch the Super Bowl live.  The difference is amazing.  When I came back I was expecting to need about 20 minutes just to get email and facebook to load... this just hasn't been the case.  Until this week.  I've actually become annoyed with myself and my impatience.

Today, it's taken me about 3 hours to get information gathered when it should have taken about 30 minutes at most.  BUT I've decided to check my attitude.  I cannot tell you all how very grateful I am to have internet at all.  Last time I didn't even have it in my apartment, this time I have it at home and it's almost always great.  I'm thankful to Jesus for the internet and the ability to communicate with you all.  I'm also thankful that I can keep up to date on the news.  It's awesome to wake up in the morning and check CNN for the latest news.  It's easy to feel disconnected from the world... especially since I don't have tv.

Anyways, I've been encouraged this week through my own discouragement.  Doesn't make much sense does it?  Well what I mean is that it's been another really difficult week because of the situation in Sudan and the people I work with, but in spite of the difficulty Jesus has been speaking loud and clear.  There have been moments when I've been completely at a loss with no idea what to do, so I just pray.  Jesus has helped me through this week in huge ways.  Prayer has carried me.

Please, please continue praying for Sudan and the Blue Nile region.  It's terrible... and it's going unnoticed.  People's lives are being lost... lives of the loved ones of those that I love.


This article may help you understand the current situation.  Please read it and please pray.  Thanks!!

No comments: