Saturday, August 4, 2012

Comfort Zone

I just got home after a good night out... actually it's the first night I've really gone out since moving here.  What's my punishment for having a good time??  A hyper puppy who's ready to play after being in her cage for 7 hours.  So instead of forcing her back in her cage right away I'm staying up... and what's better than writing at 2am?  I can't guarantee cohesiveness, considering I woke up at 6 this morning.

As I was driving home tonight, completely floored by the beauty of the night- the moon overtaking the darkness- I began thinking about the fact that I haven't been very social.  This is in part due to the fact that I'm new and don't know a ton of people.  It's also because up until this week I didn't go outside of my comfort zone very much.  This is not to say that the time I've spent getting to know people at church hasn't been great... because it has.  It's just not felt like just sitting and relaxing with a group of friends...yet.  

This week was different though.  Even though I was incredibly busy with work, meetings, and writing a sermon, I decided to make it a point to do some things outside of work and church.  I went back up to Delanco Camp (which was really to see the youth, but I ended up hanging out with non-church people too.)  

I've been invited to play volleyball every Friday with a group of people I don't know... except for the one who invited me, of course, and up until today I hadn't been able to go because of scheduling and whatnot.  In reality though, I was nervous to just go and hang out with a completely new group of people.  I'm generally not shy, but it's intimidating to join a group like this one... they play every week and have been playing for a long time.  They know each other pretty well, they know how each person plays, how they hit the ball, what their abilities are, etc..  Coming into a game like that is nerve-wracking, especially when I'm not awesome at volleyball (even though I love playing) and I'm used to playing with a group of African brothers who know very just well how I play.  All of that to say, that I went, played, and had a good time.  I'm not as good of a player as everyone else, but I can definitely see this weekly game as a blessing and also as a ministry.

(Sidebar: I somehow feel like Scotty Smalls in the Sandlot... only my sandlot is a backyard volleyball court.)  :)

Then tonight I drove out to Lancaster, PA to see a friend from college perform in Bye Bye Birdie, which just happens to be the same show we did my freshman year of high school... way back when.  It was fun to see a different take on a show that I've been in, not to mention see my friend that I've not seen since their graduation in 2004.

These little times away from home and work have been rejuvenating.  During the longer drives I've enjoyed the time to myself and time with Jesus.  These times are love gifts from the Lord, of this I'm sure.  I'm not called to be confortable 24/7 and that's ok.  I'm so encouraged these days, so excited to be doing the work I've been given.  Praise the Lord for His precious gifts to us each day!  

More and more I'm finding that it's easier and more comfortable to be here.  Home is no longer a relative term when I think of Clarksboro.  There are people I really and truly look forward to seeing and who I genuinely miss when I don't see them for a few days.  I'm learning the culture.  None of this has been of my own accord.  God has honestly made this so easy for me.  Being tossed right into ministry and challenged has been so helpful.  The thought of preaching my first sermon a few weeks ago was overwhelming, but had I not done it already and so soon after I started, it would be just one more thing that intimidated me.  Being thrown in so quickly has been awesome.  Jesus knows me better than I know myself and He knew just what I would need in this new ministry.  

And now I feel like I'm rambling.  Also the puppy is now passed out, snoring loudly next to me.  Good night moon!

No comments: