Monday, July 30, 2012

Mailboxes and God

Mondays are normally my day off, but this week is just too busy for that so I ran a few errands for work this morning.  My first stop was the high school to apply to be a substitute teacher again.  It's definitely a great way to spend time with the kids and get to know their friends.  However, NJ has made it quite the process to be certified!  It took a few hours to fill out the paper work, send a transcript request to IWU, and set up a time to be finger printed as well as find someone who will notarize one of the papers!  Who knew??  But, I digress...

As I was heading through Woodbury I passed a woman with a toddler.  They stopped in front of a big blue mail box to send a letter.  The woman didn't hesitate to hand the child the letter, pick her up, and let her put it in the slot.  The woman didn't act like it was a hassle to allow the child to take a few extra seconds to mail the letter, she didn't refuse to let the child help.  Instead she just took her in her arms and guided her along the way.  A big smile spread across my face because the Holy Spirit reminded me that this is just how God sees us.  Isn't this just how God treats His children?  He patiently stretches His arms out and guides us along in even the simplest tasks when we allow Him.  What a beautiful picture of heaven on earth today.  

I love the reminders of God's promises each and every day.  I love being a part of God's family and being held in His loving arms.  I love that He trusts me enough to give me tasks that He will help me with.  I love that He is patient when I don't quite exactly understand how to do something.

The woman and the toddler I saw might be in the habit of walking to the mail box to drop letters daily. Maybe today wasn't special and maybe the child throws a fit when she's not allowed to help put the mail in the box.  Or maybe the mother wants the child to learn, to grow, to understand.  Maybe the mother was only looking at that child with love and grace today.

God can do all things with or without me.  I'm honored when I get to do things.  I love that he wants me to learn, grow, and understand.  I love how He looks on me with love and grace... even when I do throw fits.  I love that He knows when I need help and carries me.

What a sweet picture of God's love.  Praise be to God.

No comments: