Sunday, July 22, 2012

Christ in us?

The last two weeks have flown by unbelievably fast.  It seems like I've been nothing but busy since I arrived here.  It's definitely a good thing.  I feel so blessed to know the people I'm getting to know and to work in a place that working to further the Kingdom of God.  After one "normal-ish" week after camp, this past week was crazy.  My sister, mom, and nieces decided to drive out and spend a week with me.  It worked out nicely since I preached today... I couldn't have imagined 2 months ago when I accepted this position that my family would be in town the first time I preached.  Very cool.

The week with the family was good.  Very, very busy.  We went to the shore, spent a day in Philly checking out the Liberty Bell and that area, went to a bounce house place, and just hung out.  I still had the responsibility of writing my sermon so I spent an entire day doing that as well.  Kayla and Alexandria struggled to not have quite the same amenities as at home seeing as though I don't have many toys or books, but we made it work.  I loved that they got to see where I live and work so now they have a bit of an understanding of what I'm doing these days.  They loved the puppy, Piper of course.  She had a hectic week having 5 masters telling her what to do and not do all week.  She's currently passed on the couch next to me with no signs of moving any time soon!

So anyways, that's the short version of what's been going on.  Something else that has really been on my mind is a couple of conversations I've had with a couple of different people in the last few weeks.  Strangely, both of the conversations went in the same direction, but they were coming from people in two very different places in their lives.  In both cases each person had at one point been an active member of a church or youth group and has since decided to abandon that and do life their own way.  Also, in both cases the reasoning was the same: the hypocritical and judgmental attitude found in many churches throughout the States.  As I sat and listened, my heart became heavy.  I've seen it happen and it's not shocking to hear, just very disappointing. I've heard people speak on not fitting in before, but it's always heartbreaking to hear that people are turning away because of the Body.  

In both conversations I sat patiently listening, sympathizing.  People are always surprised when they can't shock me with their language or lifestyle choices.  (In turn, I shock them by having tattoos and being honest about struggling with sin.)  I feel as though I'm always being tested to see if I'm one of those people judging them for how they live.  I do my best to get across that I don't care about any of that, but that I only care about them walking with the Lord.

After I talked with one of those people for about an hour on the subject of faith, I could tell that I was being judged myself.  I was being watched and every word I said was being scrutinized.  This person grew up in the church, basically lived the same way that I did through high school and into college, but instead of walking with the Lord now, they have chosen to almost completely ignore Him.  It's a tricky thing to try and witness without pushing someone further away.  I prayed as I sat listening to all of the ways that this person feels slighted by the church.  I asked God to give me wisdom in how to respond.  I believe the Spirit was moving and this person asked me for advice and recommendations on how to try to attend church again without feeling judged.  I was very able to speak a bit of truth into their life by talking through human nature, the Church, and Jesus.  The biggest thing was just being honest about how I understand things, what I know about the character of God, and how I conduct myself.  I did my best not to be boastful, just honest.

I don't know if either of these people are going to actually attempt to rejoin the church and I don't even know if they'll attempt to talk to me again for fear of being held accountable, but I do know that as the Body of Christ we need to be working to change this stigma.  I'd like to challenge those who claim Christ to help change it.  How can we go, teach, and baptize if we are ignoring those who are crying out.  How can we fulfill this command if we are too busy with our own programming to reach into the pews and comfort the hurting, invite the lost, welcome those who are crying out for Christ?  How can we encourage change?  Do our lives speak loudly enough that others can actually see Christ in us and desire that for themselves?  Do we have to scream loudly to spread the gospel or are we showing His great love, mercy, and compassion?

I want to see the church be the Bride of Christ, not a place that turns people away because they are living in sin.  The Jesus I know hung out with sinners.  I want to do the same.

No comments: