Monday, July 9, 2012

Camp, Church, and a Puppy

Well, after hearing about Delanco camp for many years from many different people, I finally experienced a bit that it has to offer.  During Camp Meeting last week I had the chance to meet many key people, hang out with some fun teenagers, and meet a lot of the people I've heard about for so long.  What a blessing to have the opportunity to build new relationships.  It was also a good refreshing time for me personally.  Everything has been so hectic since the day I decided to move to the East coast and it was nice to have so much quiet time.  

On top of the new relationships and quiet time, I played a LOT of volleyball.  Apparently it's tradition at Delanco camp meeting to play volleyball each afternoon.  It was so nice to play again... after playing so much in Uganda it felt like being home almost.  The fact that it was about 100 degress everyday helped it feel more like my African home.  It was such a good time!

I got home from camp on Friday night around 11.  I showered and went right to bed, exhausted from the extreme heat and not sleeping so well for most of the week.  Saturday I woke up and decided that I was going to go puppy hunting.  After researching a bunch of different shelters, I headed to one about 45 minutes away.  They were a really solid place and had a new litter of puppies being fixed that day.  They told me to come back the next day to pick one and put an app in if I saw one I liked.  It was first come first serve and they opened at noon.  Church doesn't end until noon and then I had to drive to get there.  

Sunday was the first Sunday that I was really helping to lead the service as assistant pastor.  I was quite nervous, but after spending some time in prayer, felt at ease about the morning.  Both services went really well and Jesus totally helped me to be able to focus on Him and not just on the fact that I was helping to lead.  

After church I didn't even change out of my dress before hopping in the car and heading to the shelter.  When I pulled in, the lot was nearly full.  My heart dropped and I suspected that all of the puppies had already been adopted.  Upon entering, I asked about the puppies and was thrilled to hear that there were still some available.  I spent time with a couple of them, finally choosing Piper.  She is really sweet and so far she's been pretty good.  
Piper

Sleepy after a fun first day!
Anyways, aside from the excitement of having a puppy, I'm really looking forward to establishing a semi-regular routine.  I'm learning my way around pretty well and I'm feeling more comfortable in my surroundings.  Praise God!

No comments: