Monday, October 28, 2013

A Gift From Jesus

Last Wednesday I was driving home from watching a youth kid's volleyball game when I felt the need to call one of the Sudanese guys I worked with in Uganda.  Lino's been living in the States for a while now, but I've been terrible at keeping in touch for nearly 6 months now and out of no where (well not no where, but from Jesus) I felt prompted to reach out.  He actually answered which is a miracle itself and we chatted for a long time.  It's always fun to catch up with him, though he seems to stay pretty much the same these days.  I've been missing Uganda a lot these days and really want to go back... just for a week or two to visit for now.  It would definitely do my heart and soul some good.  Lino mentioned that his adopted mom, Shelah was in the States visiting a friend near Philly.  As soon as I hung up with Lino, I sent Shelah a message on the off chance that maybe I'd get to see her for the first time in nearly two years.  I've been so out of touch with Shelah and her family that she didn't even realize I was living in New Jersey, but it turns out that she was staying in DE with a friend and was looking for a ride to the airport for today.  Jesus?  I think yes.  I'm off on Mondays and she was only about 30 minutes from me!  Who know?  I was so excited to be able to see her until...

I got sick... really for the first time since moving here a year and a half ago.  Of course I've had a few random fevers and a couple of little tummy aches, but nothing that laid me out.  I try to take lots of vitamins.  When I'm around sick people I just try to keep a bit of a distance.  I was sick a lot as a child (ear tubes until I was 22) so you'd think I'd have lots of antibodies, but somehow once in a while I still manage to catch something.  It started Saturday night.  After the Yield service, my throat was a blazin', but I just figured it was from singing and preaching.  Not so.  I didn't sleep much on Saturday night because I couldn't swallow well.  Sunday I had a planned event with the youth and didn't want to cancel it at the last minute so we went to a corn maze and played outside all day.  By the time I got home, I was down for the count.  Fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose.  Special isn't it?

I sent Shelah a message letting her know in case she wasn't comfortable being around a sicky, especially when traveling internationally.  She called to let me know she didn't care, but wanted to make sure it was still ok with me since I wasn't feeling well.  I went to bed really early last night and even though I didn't sleep well, I got some good rest and spent time praying.  When I woke up I felt a bit better... not as stuffy, less of a cough, but still with the sore throat.  From the time I picked her up at 9:30am until the time I dropped her at the airport this afternoon, I felt about 70% better!  A little gift from Jesus, I believe.  When I got home I started right back with the coughing and runny nose.  Crazy, right?  Well worth it.

Both years that I served in Uganda, I spent much of my time with Shelah, her family, and working with their organization.  They were very much like my second family- celebrating my birthday, movie nights, volleyball and other games (cheating at Uno), inviting me for Christmas, dinners, etc..  I love their two girls and enjoyed spending time with them, especially because I was away from my nieces (they are nearly the same ages).  The Ackers were an amazing blessing in my life and I've missed them dearly.  I spent New Years ('11-'12) with them in Alabama and I haven't seen them since because of my schedule and lack of proximity to their "home base" when in the States.

Sitting and talking with Shelah for hours today was the most refreshing experience I've had in a long time.  When my heart aches for Uganda, she understands why.  She told me story after story of my loved ones there and caught me up on their lives.  So many things have happened and so many lives have been changed.  I got to hear about her family and my Sudanese brothers.  I got to hear about many of my former students and many others that I love.  She felt like she was going on and on, but I couldn't hear enough about the people and place that I love so much.

The biggest joy of the day was when she told me that some of my former students at the refugee center have converted.  (I can't give more details than that for their protection.)  I spent hours and hours with them, prayed for them, laughed with them, cried with them, heard their stories, told them about Jesus, lead worship and a Book study for them, and was made a part of their family.  When she told me of their conversion, I couldn't keep the tears from coming.  I can't even imagine the amount of rejoicing in Heaven that day!  Praise be to God forever and ever.

Today would not have happened if the Holy Spirit hadn't prompted me to call Lino.  I only got to spend about 4 hours with Shelah, but it was as if no time had passed.  I finally feel free, really free from some things and reenergized to connect with people again.  It's been so long since I've put any energy into staying in good contact because it's been too painful, but hopefully that will change now.

I feel like today was a special gift from the Lord, piles of tissues and all.  My head might be pounding and I've sneezed about 800 times, but I would do it over and over again if I could, as cheesy as that sounds.  I'm just so grateful tonight.

No comments: