Saturday, November 2, 2013

Engagement Rings

While working at my first youth ministry job, I was also working full time at a Christian bookstore.  The bookstore was right near a Jared's Jewelry place and my sister asked me to get her ring cleaned one day on my lunch break or after work.  I was delighted to put the ring on and walk around all day as though it was my own.  I felt different.  I felt like people treated me differently when they thought I was engaged/married.  I loved looking at my hand... it looked so beautiful with that big ol' rock on it.  I was sad to have to give it back to her.  I liked the way it made me feel.

A couple of years later, I was a bridesmaid for yet another wedding (and feeling sorry for myself) so I asked my mom if I could wear one of her diamond rings to the wedding and reception.  She agreed and again, I loved donning that beauty all night.  Of course, people took notice and I loved the attention.  What girl wouldn't right?  It looked gorgeous.  My nails, hair, and makeup were done beautifully and the ring was the icing.  

BFF's relived to be wearing flip flops!
You can't see the ring in this picture,
but I really like it anyways.
Carley was a beautiful bride!

In recent years, I've come to realize that a big diamond ring is just not for me.  It would be way too much of a distraction and I know it would become a real pride issue with me.  I don't like stuff.  I don't like allowing material possessions to have any kind of control in my life.  A simple wedding band would be more than enough because a marriage is not about a ring.  

So where did this come from?  As I scrolled through my fb newsfeed, a professor I had during my undergrad had posted this article.  I thought it was well written and a beautifully sad reminder.  It's encouraging to know that I'm not the only one who doesn't feel the need for a beautiful diamond... though there's nothing wrong with those who do.  No judgment intended.  And now... I must sleep.



No comments: