Monday, November 11, 2013

Heaven Rejoices

In my last post I mentioned that the reason for the prayer stations was that I had an important lesson that I wanted to make sure most all of the kids heard.  Well, this past Friday night we had a lock-in and nearly all of my kids were there so I went ahead with the lesson I had been praying about for weeks.  After a couple hours of organized, messy, and gross games we headed up to the sanctuary for a time of worship.  I'm so thankful that my friend Allan (one of the parents) was there and agreed to play guitar.  We played a few "fan favorites" and then dove into the lesson.  The focus was on Jesus as Savior.  We read through John's account of Jesus' arrest and crucifixion in the form of a script.  A few of the kids had "main roles" while the rest of us read for the crowd.  I think it really got their attention.

When it came time to pray, I knew I needed to offer to pray with students who were interested in knowing Jesus as their personal Savior.  Instead of calling kids out and forcing emotion, I simply asked everyone to close their eyes, asked if anyone was interested in knowing Jesus personally, and then invited them to pray with me.  A couple of students raised their hands to indicate that they would be praying to confess Christ.  It was all I could do to keep from crying when I saw their faces after we prayed.  Without pointing fingers, I told the kids that heaven was having a party because souls had been saved.  We played a couple more songs and then ended just in time to start making a midnight snack.

I'm not sure that the kids actually understood what I was saying about heaven rejoicing, but I know the angels were rejoicing at the sound of a few more names being written in the book of life.  They're young, but not too young to begin walking with Him daily.  I'm so thrilled at the Holy Spirit's prompting.  All glory to God for these new family members!  It never ceases to excite me.

"In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."  Luke 15:10

Much time has been spent over the last year and a half bringing one of these kids in particular before the Lord... and I just can't contain my joy right now!  She is incredibly important to me and holds a special piece of my heart.  In fact, I met with her tonight for dinner to follow up, one on one, with the decision she made.  I feel so honored to be a part of her life, especially at such a time as this.  The Spirit has led and enabled me to pursue these kids.  It was wonderful to chat with her about why she made the decision and it's clear that He was drawing her into Himself.  I love my job!  To sit across from a student who has just come to know Jesus and tell them I am so excited and that I'm so proud of them and that I love them so much is one of the coolest things ever.  Thanks Jesus.

Would you join me in praying for each one?  Pray also for a willingness to be discipled and for Jesus to always be the center of each encounter I have with each one.  Discipling is key and I never want to grow weary.  I had a really amazing youth pastor who walked with me.  It's my desire to do the same with these kids.  I need Jesus' help.

No comments: