Thursday, August 28, 2008

1 Month Update

As the third week of school began, so did lots of other stuff. I am started a discipleship group for some of the young college girls from KIU (Kampala International University) last night. These are girls who want to know how to share the good news, how to grow their relationships with Jesus, how to live as a light. I’m excited for this part of my ministry to get started and take off. I wasn’t just brought here to be a teacher… although that’s what I’m doing now, so I’m working at it. I believe I am here to work with the youth, both at HIS and at in the local churches. I’m excited that that part of my ministry has begun and I’m looking forward to the jr. high and then the senior high retreats coming up in a few weeks.
Would you be in prayer for those retreats? There have been MAJOR behavior problems in the past and many of those kids will be joining us this year. Pray for hearts to be softened and that souls are won. The retreat place takes care of everything as far as lessons and activities go, so it’s going to be a great chance for those of us on leadership to grow our relationships with the kids. The kids know the other leaders pretty well because they’ve been here for a while. Francis (he teaches music at HIS and all the kids love him) and Lisa have been with these kids for a while. Nick came this past April or so and of course I’ve been here a month. The other leaders have the opportunity to work with the kids on a daily basis because they all teach in the secondary. Since I’m on the elementary side I don’t get to see the kids as often. I’ve really got to work on learning some names! I’m horrible at it. I have a meeting with Lisa and Nick today to talk about the retreats… please be praying.
So anyways… I’ve been out of the States for a month now, but it’s flown by for me. I am going to try to be better at posting more pictures on here, but the internet just doesn’t play nice some days. So it seems like in the past month I have done everything, but nothing. I’ve definitely been real busy, but I think it’s been a lot of settling into a routine. I’m going to try my best not to settle too far into a routine because then it becomes a rut. I think I could easily find myself in a rut… and maybe I’m already carving one right now.
Much of the time my attitude reflects the attitudes of those around me. If people are being negative it is easy for me to be that way too instead of countering that, you know? I need to not fall into that. I am a light, and not that I can’t have a rough day, but my attitude should be more reflective of that of Christ. I keep being brought back to Philippians 2. Even last night during my discipleship group I felt very led to share that with the group and let them know that I am working towards reflecting the attitude described there.
Regarding the discipleship group, the book I want to use is about $19 each. I need to order at least 15 of them and have them shipped here which not only means a lot of money, but a lot of waiting. The girls are all really excited about the book choice which is why we’re sticking with that particular one. Please pray that funds continue to come in, I can pay for the books out of my ministry account, but that will also take away funds from other things. I think there are about 11 girls so far and only one of them did not share that they were saved. Be praying for Franklyn. She is our only Ugandan in the group. The rest of the ladies are Kenyan. I’m really hoping to learn some Swahili and Lugandan. There is a really cool dictionary that I have my eye on… maybe this weekend I’ll splurge and buy it.
In the school we all have prayer/accountability partners. I was “assigned” Donna Bourne. She is a missionary with WGM, so I know her and her husband and family pretty well. They are the ones from Chillicothe, OH, so we have fun and get along well. Yesterday Donna and I had our first meeting and it went really well. I’m comfortable with her and I think we will be able to connect really well. She’s so sweet.
For dinner tonight my roomie and I have invited Donna and Keith’s daughter, Haley over for dinner. Haley is one of 2 or 3 seniors and she could really use some friends. She’s very quiet girl, so I’m hoping to find a way to really get to know her and invest in her. She may be going back to the States for college soon, so the time is now! We also invited the niece of a family who has kids in the school over tonight. Her name is Dani and she just graduated high school last year, so I’m hoping that she is able to connect with Haley well. I just met Dani today, but she’s sweet and I’m hoping she catches onto what my goal is with her and Haley. ☺
I’m not sure what’s in store for this weekend yet, but I’ve got to make it through the week first. Tomorrow night is Open House for the parents and families to come and see what the kids have been doing. Also, there is a BBQ right before Open House that we have to be at. After tomorrow I’m not even going to think about school for 2 straight days! This weekend we might drive up to the pool that I wrote about, or maybe we’ll go down to the Lake again. Who knows? I’m hoping paintball happens very soon! Some of the MKs have been asking to go for a while now.
Oh man, I guess that’s it for now. Thank you so much for being faithful in praying for me. Your prayers are being felt, especially on the days when I can’t seem to lift my hands in prayer myself. Much love and many blessings to you all.

OH!! Ps my classroom might be growing by one! We are in the process of testing a Ugandan boy to see what level he can be placed in. His name is Majesty. So pray for him.

No comments: