Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Dirt Roads and Mighty Words

Well my goal is to post once or twice a week and so far I haven't followed through, but now that I have more of a schedule it is my plan to do so. Well, last week I had orientation for the school monday, tuesday, and wednesday morning until lunch. After lunch we were given the opportunity to work in our classrooms and get stuff set up. I was done and set up by tuesday, so I spent my time writing lesson plans and helping others set their rooms up. Thursday and Friday were registration days and we were asked to be in the classroom as much as possible to meet the students and their parents. Thursday we had a team meeting within WGM to get caught up on things and find out what the plan is for the next few weeks. It's mainly for the career missionaries, but as VIA we (Nick, Jean, and I) are allowed and encouraged to sit in because we're long term VIA (volunteers in action).
The meeting was informative and I learned a ton about the field here in Kampala and a little bit about what our team in the northern part of the country is doing. I've also had the opportunity to spend more time with each of the missionary families and their kids and I just love them all. There is one family here from Chillicothe, OH where a good friend of mine is from, so it's fun to hang out with them. They are a little reminder of home everyday. They're just so comfortable and loving. They have two girls who are high school age and I'm enjoying getting to know them. Nick, Jean, and I, all being VIA try and hang out with the kids and get to spend some time with them. I believe that MKs are just another ministry to be involved in. One of the MKs is in my 6th grade class and I love him!
Speaking of class, I only have 4 student because a few were not able to return for one reason or another. Easy right? Well one of my students just arrived here from South Korea and doesn't speak english much beyond casual greetings. BUT we've only had 3 days of class and our communication has already improved greatly. She is really getting involved in class now. I'm excited to see how she grows over the next year. 6th grade is a fun age for me because they still actually want to learn. They still ask questions and they still (for the most part) pay attention. Something that I am so excited about is teaching my bible class as a part of the curriculum. Teaching in a Christian school has it's advantages.
There are many other first year teachers here who never went to college for Education either, so it's been an encouragement and I really feel like I can do it. I have support in all directions. Our principal is wonderful and she is also very supportive of me.
So other than that I've been slowly learning my way around. Me, Nick, and Jean share on vehicle and since Nick doesn't live within walking distance of the school he usually has the car. But this weekend I got to drive around Kampala and do some last minute school shopping. Driving on the left isn't the tricky part here... the tricky part is not dying. But in all seriousness there are laws, but none of them are in place. It is normal to see cars passing uphill, stopping where ever they want, driving on the wrong side, you name it, they do it. The 'boda bodas' or motorcycles for hire are the craziest drivers so far though. I've yet to have to take a boda and my plan is to never have to, but you never know. I like motorcycles, but I also like not weaving in and out of traffic and obeying common courtesy laws.
I've now been to two of the churches that WGM has planted here in Kampala and the surrounding areas. The goal is so train Ugandans to be pastors, help them get their church started, and then for them to run everything on their own. It seems pretty successful so far. The Ugandan pastors that I've met are really nice and VERY welcoming. Of course I'm normally the only Muzungo in the service, along with whoever I came with, but I like it that way. We do a worship service here at the school on sunday evenings. It's open to everyone, but it seems like a very WGM populated group. This week Nick and I are leading worship, so I'm excited about that. I am so glad I decided to bring my guitar!
I've already been to the movie theatre here, but the only thing I wanted to see was the Dark Knight, which I'd seen before, but it was good. I've been to the mall and lots of little stores along the road called dukas. This past friday we went to "friday market" which is just an out door market where crafts, clothing, gifts, jewelry, and stuff like that is sold. It was a very cool experience. Of course I've had experience bartering from when I was in Mexico, but this was much more interactive and competitive.
I've not really had any feelings of homesickness yet, but I do sometimes feel like I'm missing a lot of stuff in the states. I don't like not being able to pick up my phone and talk to someone for an hour or two without it costing 60,000UGX, you know? But I'll survive. So what if I wake up at 5:30 am to talk to people, at least I get to hear your voices!
I wish I could box you all up and have you shipped to me because there's so much I want to show you and tell you about and I don't do any of it justice with my words.
Would you all be continually be praying for the field here in Uganda, specifically for our Kampala team. Pray for Heritage International School (HIS) as some roles are still not filled and the year is underway. Pray for teachers and students as we've already had a number of absences due to illness. Pray for the students to open their hearts and be willing to receive Christ for those that don't know Him, and for those that do that they would draw nearer to Him daily. Pray for Uganda. Pray for the people. I've never met people more kind and welcoming in my life. This is a beautiful place with it's orange/red dirt roads, random animals wandering the streets, and the sounds of children's laughter as they play games with an empty bottle in the street. For some this would be their worst nightmare... when the power goes out we have no hot water and our toilet doesn't flush, we will never have air conditioning in our apartment or the internet. We have to wash out clothes by hand, boil water just to brush our teeth. There are giant bugs creeping around everywhere. When we buy "fresh" fruit from the market we have to soak it in bleach water to kill the parasites and then let it air dry completely before consuming. Normal things like cheap shampoo are about 5 dollars for a small bottle. There is a mosquito net over my bed, and I can't go out after dark because of safety issues. But it's not a nightmare to me... it's actually beautiful. Of course there are comforts I miss, but there are also experiences to be had and I wouldn't want to stifle myself or my God by giving up or checking out.
I pray that you're blessed and encouraged by the things you've read. I pray that you would gain a little understanding of what I get to experience here and the ways that God is moving. He is here, He is big, and His plans are perfect. I take rest and comfort in that. Joshua 1:9 says, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you where ever you go." Thank God that He keeps His word. Thank God that He is with me here and also with you there. I love you all very much! Please keep me updated on your lives and let me know how I can be praying for you, k?
Love,
Chris

ps it's less than a dollar to send snail mail letters. (again, hint hint!)

1 comment:

Carley said...

I love you too!! Keep blogging, girl :) I'm so glad you are!