Friday, August 22, 2008

It's a Small World...

I don’t have anything substantial to say… but I do have a funny experience I’d like to share. Yesterday our WGM Kampala had a prayer meeting at one of the missionary’s houses. This particular family lives too far from my apartment to walk to. So after school I had to walk up to the Duplex (2 house that are connected, that are shared by 2 WGM missionary families.) to drop a bill off in the finance office and see if I could get a ride to the meeting. So we’re walking up the first big hill and it’s like hiking up any normal semi-steep hillside. As we round the corner at the top we can faintly hear “It’s a Small World” playing from somewhere.
Well this isn’t the first time I’ve heard that song playing randomly around here. I was working in my classroom at the school last Sunday before evening fellowship and I heard it playing. It’s always pretty faint though.
So anyways as we round the corner and are on flat ground for a while before we begin the next hill, “It’s a Small World” grows louder and louder. I say to my roomie, “sounds like it could be an ice cream man. How awesome would that be?!” Then we talk about how we’ve heard it before. All the while the song is growing louder. Well about 45 seconds later a bike rolls by with an orange Gatorade-type cooler, with a sign on it that says ‘ice cream’.
I’m guessing you don’t find this as funny as I did, but it was just perfect. There is so much need and a lack of so many things here, even in the city; yet there is an ice cream man... with a boom box... and a cooler full of ice cream.
Anypoo, I’m a day away from the end of my second week of teaching and I’m pretty pumped about that. I like my job/ministry, but I love Saturdays. I’m not sure what’s going down this weekend, but maybe some paintball at the place we found last weekend. Maybe catching a movie. I’d like to check out this orphanage that a couple girls I know volunteer at.
Oh, something else that’s kind of exciting… last night we were invited for dinner at a house that has decent internet. So we brought out computers to email and Skype. My roommate has a newer Mac than I do and her’s has a web cam built in. Well I use skype on my computer a lot, but I used her computer so that when I called my sister, the baby could see me. I was sad I couldn’t see her, but knowing that she was so excited to see me was awesome. I’m hoping my family gets a web cam soon so that I can see the girlies.
Be praying for the teachers and students at HIS, for our health. Quite a few teachers have already missed a day of work and on of the MKs has missed two days. There are a ton of germs when there are that many kids in small spaces and they love to touch EVERYTHING and everyone around them. Gross. So, please be praying for that. Also, if you would still be in prayer about my finances, that would be much appreciated. Thank you for being supportive. Thanks for being faithful servants with me! ☺
Love,
Chris

No comments: