Sunday, August 3, 2008

I have arrived!

Well all, I'm here in Kampala, Uganda. I arrived on Wednesday morning with no sleep, but got to take a short nap once I finally got into the city. After my nap I was shown around the area a bit by Lisa Fish, the VIA coordinator (aka my boss), and by my new roommate Jean. We went grocery shopping for our apartment and Lisa gave us some great tips on the better brands to buy. Even though I was on no sleep, it was helpful and I actual remember what she told us. So after shopping we had a prayer meeting with the other WGM missionaries, which is a weekly event. I got to meet everyone else on the field in Uganda right now, well except their kids. Most of the families have a couple of kids each.
So the next day one of the missionary family's the Bourne's were going on a trip to Buvuma Island on Lake Victoria (source of the Nile) to take pictures of the kids and orphans and also check out the school that WGM started. Lisa said now would be a good time to go with and check it out because we wouldn't have much opportunity aside from Christmas break because of school. So Jean and I joined the Bourne's and their two daughters at 6am on Thursday for a two hour car ride to Jinja to get to the shore, followed by a two hour boat ride to get out to the island. Lake Victoria is huge, about the size of South Carolina, and it also borders Kenya and Tanzania. We were very close to Kenya where we were at. It was a beautiful boat ride, but unfortunately we didn't get to see any crocs of hippos… I guess it's a good thing since our boat was small enough for a hippo to rip in half if we invaded it's space. From the shore of Jinja we got carried over the lake and put into the boat by some locals because it's too expensive to use the docks.
Anyways when we got to the island the kids from the village immediately swarmed us saying "Mzungu" over and over which of course means white person. They grabbed our hands and touched our skin. We had a hard time even walking from the boat to the school, which is right off the shore because the kids were so enthralled by us. It is a treat to see white people. We went right up to the school and looked around as the kids enjoyed some recess and gawking at the Mzungus. While Donna Bourne took pictures, Keith, Rachel, Hailey, Jean, and I were shown around the small village. Of course the kids were attached to us for the entire tour, but they were so sweet. We got to see the African Gospel Church that was planted there by WGM and pray with the pastor. For such a small impoverished village the morale was fairly high. These kids with their little potbellies from lack of food were some of the sweetest kids I've ever met. The village was a typical African village with mud huts for houses buildings. Farming is the way of life there.
So after a few hours we left, got back in the boat, road for two hours back to Jinja, and got to our van, which was having some major brake issues. So we took it to a local mechanic who fixed it (two hours later) with us still sitting in it. After it was fixed we made our way back into Kampala where the Kelley's (one of the other missionary families) had dinner prepared for Jean and I. It was a long day, but definitely worth it… seeing the Nile River was pretty sweet and being able to go to a village on my second day was amazing.
Yesterday was Friday and I had VIA orientation with Lisa in the morning, then I went to see HIS (Heritage International School) and my classroom, and then I had a financial orientation with the Kelley's, who are in charge of all of the finances for the field in Kampala. After a day of orientation the Bourne's took Jean and I out to dinner, which was fabulous.
So, so far so good. I'm learning a lot already, but am very overwhelmed by it all. I feel like it's going to be such a long time before I have a good grasp on things. I haven't really had time to be home sick yet, but today being Saturday, we are going to have lots of free time and I think it's all hitting me that I'm going to be here, and not there for a real long time. I don't have internet in my apartment and I don't think we're going to, so Skype is out of the question whenever I want. The Kelley's house has wireless and I'm allowed to use it to skype whenever, but it's weird to talk on the computer in front of other people. Luckily the school has internet, but I won't be there much until class starts. This next week we have orientation at school all week, but I imagine it will be a very busy time since I have no clue what I'm doing as a teacher. Apparently there is a website called pingo.com where you guys can buy a phone card to call me on my Uganda cell phone number for only 14 cents a minutes. I'm hoping that ya'll will go out and buy some time so we can talk for real cheap. Keep in mind that from the central time zone, I'm 8 hours ahead. So right now it's 10am here and 2am there. I'll always answer my phone, so call whenever.
011256 774326069 is the complete number to get out of US and into Uganda with my number.
My address here is:
Christina Maddalone
World Gospel Mission
0774326069
P.O. Box 11788
Kampala, UG

If you send a package (which would be amazing, hint hint!!) please keep in mind that you need to put it in an unmarked box with no price values written on the outside. You can write stuff like 'candy' or 'gifts' but nothing like 'cash' or '$150 donation'. Get my drift? Also, if you send a package, not an envelope please make sure to email the US Customs number so we can track the package if it gets lost. There's no way to track envelopes. Even if the post office tells you it will get to me in like 10 days, it will take at the very least 3 weeks. Sometimes 8 weeks.
Thanks for all your love, prayers, support, and encouragement! I hope to hear from you soon. As soon as I have internet more consistently I'll be better at keeping in touch. I'm praying for you

No comments: