Friday, January 28, 2011

I'm back!!

Rusty, orange earth. Breath-taking fuchsia floral arrangements. Emerald landscape. Cars and bodas (motorcycle taxis) zooming past. Children's laughter. Dust. Bright blue sky. Friendly faces. Countless ducas (tiny shops along the road). Burning trash. Mud huts. Giant houses.

These are just a few of the sights, sounds, and smells I enjoyed on my walk home yesterday.

Upon arriving in Uganda a week ago I found myself very sick and very restless, yet simply at home. The transition has been easy, natural for me. I'm really thankful for this. As I'm trying to adjust other areas of my life and my heart, the last thing I needed was a complicated time adjusting to life back here. By the grace of God, it's been simple. Thanks so much for all of your prayers and love as this transition has been taking place.

Friday I had little or no voice and still felt terrible. Saturday I was feeling much better, but still had a nasty cough and no voice. But on Sunday I felt great, still coughing, but pain free. By Monday morning I felt back to my old self again, just with a cough. I began working in the print shop, collating a devotional book for youth in boarding schools. That took me all day Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday was a national holiday called Liberation day, so my teacher friends were off school as were the kids. We had a slumber party with some youth girls, and then went into town for the day. It was a lovely day. Yesterday I spent the day stapling all of the books I had just collated, stopping for a few hours during the day to go and have lunch with a friend.

I am blessed by Jade and Shelah Acker and the Center of Hope for refugees that they have opened. They offer English, computer, sewing, and other life skill classes to those considered to be refugees. They are from many countries and backgrounds. Anyways their Center of Hope is just a couple of miles from my house so to ensure that I could find it and get there on time to meet them for lunch I took a boda. It was very easy to find as my boda driver knew exactly where to go. When I arrived I found Shelah and enjoyed a tour of the Center and a good chat with her while we waited for lunch. I got to see a friend from last time that I had not yet seen. When lunch was ready we served ourselves matoke, potatoes, pocho, beans, and some kind of veggie/meat mush. All of this local food was prepared by Uganda women who work at the center. It was my first encounter with local food again and of course I enjoyed all of it. You guys who know my issues with certain foods would be amazed at what I'll eat. I love local food and had been anxiously awaiting a chance to get some. Anyways as we ate our lunch we caught up on life for the past year and a half. It was such an encouraging time and I'm honored to be a part of the Center. I am still praying about my involvement there, but will most likely be teaching an English class and working with the youth when they are on holiday from boarding school. I can't tell you how excited I am to be a part of their family again. I spent much of my time with the Ackers the last time I was here. They have two adorable children of their own and 9 Sudanese guys that they sponsor, two of whom they are adopting, Lino and Taban. Again, if you want to know more about them check out earlier blog entries from like Sept 08- July 09. I think there's even a video of Lino and his going away presents last time.

After lunch with Shelah, I walked home instead of catching a boda. I love walking here. It's so peaceful despite the danger of being run over by a speeding vehicle. :) I stopped in a little road-side salon to find out about dreads for a friend, waved at the staring children, and sweated my way home. It was awesome. I'm not really sure why this is sticking in my head right now. Maybe it's because I'm excited about the familiarity of it all. I didn't even think twice about hopping on a boda. Driving on the left again has been surprisingly mindless. Despite the condition of my heart I'm excited to be here and to jump right in to ministry.

I've begun some work on the orphan project on Buvuma Island and am hoping to make my first trip out to the island next week. I'm working on some logistics with having a translator and a good camera to get pictures of the kids. I'm exciting to share more about this once I travel to Jinja and then to the village on the island. There is much to be done and the laborers are few... isn't that how it always is? I can't help but hear those words right from Jesus' mouth in Matthew chapter 9 when I think about all that needs to be done in this next year. However, God is sovereign and I'm still surrendering every day.

Would you join me in praying for Kikongo village on Buvuma Island? Pray for safety and health for those of us traveling to the island. Pray for the upcoming elections (Feb 18??) as the threat of terrorist attacks is high and getting higher by the day... pray for safety on the roads and for the police as they control rioting and whatnot. Please pray with me for the students at Heritage International School (HIS), pray for souls to be won and hearts to be broken for Jesus. Pray for the teachers as well.

I have yet to snap a photo of anything, but I will soon. Thank you for all your prayers and support! I appreciate all of you. Please feel free to email me prayer requests whenever you can.
My address and phone number are as follows:
World Gospel Mission
0772463218
PO Box 11788
Kampala, Uganda
East Africa

+256772463218 (you must dial the 256 because it's the country code. )

Pingo.com offeres great rates on calling cards, but honestly the easiest way to get a hold of me is over skype. If you just search my name you should be able to find me easily. I would love to hear from you!

Packages and letters appreciated!! :) Although, do let me know if you're sending a package as I need to be able to track it. They sometimes get "lost" in transit. Much love!

No comments: