Tuesday, October 9, 2012

How Awesome is He!

Pine needles and leaves drifted lazily to the ground and a light breeze picked up.  Casually I strolled  from my classroom in the woods, past the lake as the rain slowly made it's way over the once calm waters like a curtain being drawn.  In a seemingly perfect line, the drops danced across the lake, following me as I walked parallel to it.  My heart was lighter than it had been in days and quite full joy.  

I had already spent much of the day in the quietness of God's vast creation.  In between each of my four lessons, after one class left and another meandered over, I had about 20 minutes of stillness.  My senses were overtaken by the surrounding forest as I breathed in the crisp air and silenced myself before my Creator.  In those quiescent moments of pure worship I stood in awe, struggling to do anything but express my love and adoration to my God.  It was an honor to be standing there lifting up my family, friends, church, and youth (near and far) to the Maker.  How awesome is He!!


Chapel in the Pines - Delanco Camp

Since this was my first fall retreat at Delanco, I wasn't quite sure what the weekend would like.  I've been on and led enough retreats to have a general understanding, but my role as a teacher for the weekend wasn't well defined.  I found out just days before arriving how many lessons I'd be responsible for and how much time they should cover.  Being a staff member at a camp I've only visited twice, once for just an hour, wasn't easy.  It was very apparent that those in leadership are very well established, so being an outsider (someone who's not grown up attending or working at Delanco) was difficult.  There were some who made an effort to make me feel welcome, but there were too many others who didn't which was quite disappointing.  I've always been someone who just meshes easily, but when a group of leadership is so tightly bound, unfortunately it's hard to get in.  I'm guessing over time I'll get to know people better and it won't be as awkward, but we'll see.  Ah the disadvantages of being a newbie. 

More important than that though, is the time I got to spend with the few kids from my youth group that attended.  We had fun fishing, chatting, and hanging out.  One of them got a little beat up by a tree stump which resulted in an ER visit until 3am, but even that time spent with that one kid was special.  (he's fine, just a sprain, btw.)  I see that God is moving and that big things are going to happen.  

I've been struggling a bit to be patient as the numbers continue to be low for youth group.  I just have to keep reminding myself that even if one person comes to Christ and is discipled, it's all been worth it.  Pray with me for the leadership, youth, young adults...   

I've been feeling very burdened for the souls of those in my life without Christ.  The thought of someone missing out on eternity with God makes me unbelievably sad and overwhelmed with grief.  The absolute joy and freedom that comes from knowing Christ and walking with Him daily is truly indescribable.  To know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I have been created to be in relationship with God, to bring Him glory, and to share His goodness with the world is nothing short of amazing.  I am resting in the knowledge that I'm just a tiny speck in this giant God story, but I've been given the ability to do all things through Christ who gives me strength.  

I'll leave you with this passage of scripture that has been on my heart these days from Philippians 2:1-11:
"Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
  
In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: 
Who, being in very nature God,
 did not consider equality with God something to
 be used to his own advantage;
rather, he made himself nothing
 by taking the very nature of a servant,
 being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
 he humbled himself
 by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father."

2 comments:

Jean said...

beautifully written friend. thank you.

Jean said...

beautifully written friend. thank you.