Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Classy Hurricane Moment

This past Sunday morning at church we made the announcement that all church activities/meetings were cancelled through Wednesday because of the impending hurricane.  So I enjoyed a quiet Sunday watching football, chatting on the phone, doing some laundry, and skyping with my sweet nieces.  It was a bit strange not to have youth group, but a nice break.  When I woke up on Monday it was raining  steadily and the wind was starting to pick up.  I made sure everything was secure (windows locked, garbage can and recycle bin in the creepy little shed, etc.), took a hot shower, and "hunkered down", as they say.

There's nothing on tv during the day so I watched the news, played with the puppy, played guitar, and read.  All was going well until about 2pm.  This is when my dog decided to go nuts.  I usually only let her out without a leash when I'm confident that she'll come back right away... like in the morning when she knows she gets to eat when she gets in, when it's rainy because she hates getting wet, and late at night when there aren't a lot of distractions to draw her from the house.  You would think that during a hurricane when the wind and rain is raging, she would turn around and come right back in (in fact she had already done that 2 other times that day).

Well I don't know what happened in her little peabrain, but she chose to take that opportunity to run amuck.  The ground was thoroughly saturated by this point, so she effortlessly started digging a hole, covering herself with mud.  This prompted me to head out into the yard to try and stop her.  Picture, if you will, me with my hair messily in a ponytail, pajamas/comfy clothes on, no make up, trying to avoid falling tree branches, chasing my dog around the yard and the church parking lot, shouting like a crazy person, all in the middle of a hurricane.  A very classy moment for both Piper and I.

When I was finally able to get her back in, she took off running because she knew she was in trouble.  So not only was I soaking wet (AFTER I had already showered for the day), but now my house had mud tracked all over it.  I was able to corner her, spank her, and carry her to her cage before much more damage was done.  I proceeded to cover her cage with a blanket just like a bird you don't want to hear from.  She didn't make a sound... lucky for her.  I cleaned up her mess, changed into warm, dry clothes, and just chilled for a while before letting her out.  About an hour later I went to let her out and she came cautiously out of her cage, bowing before me.  She quite literally laid herself at my feet looking ashamed, which of course made me feel guilty for punishing her.

The rest of the afternoon went well.  The weather continue to deteriorate, but still wasn't what it was predicted to be for my area.  Yes, when I took the dog out (on the leash) I changed into different clothes, knowing I would get soaked, but all in all it wasn't horrible.  Around 5 it started to really pick up.  I decided to crank the heat in my house so that if I did lose power later that night, it would take longer to get really cold.  By about 11pm I was sweating and the lights had only flickered a couple of times.  I turned the heat down and went to bed, not able to fall asleep until about 2:30am because of the crazy wind.

The only "damage" here is a few branches in my yard and the trellis above the walkway fell down.  To be honest I'm not sad about the trellis being down.  It was decent looking, but spiders liked to drop from it while people walked under it.  Not cool at all.



















So my first hurricane experience was a bit stressful at times, but mostly I'm feeling very grateful for the uneventful nature of the storm around my home.  Watching the news and seeing the damage at the shore, other parts of NJ, NYC, and the entire east coast is sobering.  My area is fortunate to still have power and nearly no damage.  Please continue praying for those who are not as fortunate.

No comments: