Monday, April 15, 2013

A Sermon, Africa, and More Bugs

Just over a week ago, I had the opportunity to give the sermon since my senior pastor was out of town. This is something I'm becoming a little bit more comfortable doing.  It's not the "speaking in front of people" that makes me nervous, it's the whole "not my words" thing.  I never for one second want to utter a word that's not truth.  I never want to take scripture out of context or use it poorly.  God was very clear with me about the subject matter I was supposed to share.  Throughout the week leading up to the sermon, He led me very directly and spoke quite clearly about the scripture I was to use.  He also led me to study 3 specific stories from scripture.  It all came together well on Friday and even though I had a rough couple of run throughs- trying to time stuff out well- by Sunday morning I knew I was ready.

The first service went fairly well.  We (the praise team) had practiced really well the day before, so the music was great and it really helped to usher me into a very focused time of worship.  By the time it was time to preach my nerves were tense, but I knew confidently that the words I was about to share were from God.  Aside from a few little stumbles over a word or two, I think it flowed well.  The second service's sermon flowed a little bit more smoothly, but all in all, the whole morning went well.  I had only positive feedback that day and I'm very grateful to the Lord for His clear leading.  I'm very encouraged by this past experience and even though there were a few people who offered some slightly backhanded compliments, I'm looking forward to preaching again soon!

The week after preaching always feels slow just because the week leading up to preaching seems so intense.  Monday (my day off) was spent playing outside during the day and then hanging with a friend and his family that night.  Tuesday evening was spent with some friends who have just returned home from 2 years in Uganda (where I first met them).  What a blessing to spend time with people who really understand things in regards to East Africa.  I love chatting with those who just "get it," so to speak.  On Wednesday it was really warm out so I played volleyball with some of my youth outside on the new court I set up.  We had a lot of fun... I'm determined to get my kids ready for next year's winter retreat tournament.  We didn't show well this year, but it's SO on next year!

Friday I had the unique opportunity to share some of my experience in East Africa with a class in Indiana.  A friend that I met in Uganda has a roommate who's a high school English teacher.  His class is reading a book written by a Lost Boy from Sudan.  He asked if I would be willing to speak to his class via Skype once they were far enough along in the book.  Of course I jump at any opportunity to talk about my beloved Africa, so I spoke to two separate periods of students.  I talked through my experiences with former child soldiers and "lost boys" and then took questions from them.  It was such an honor to be able share with them.  I was also able to speak to the fact that it was God who clearly led me there... which was a cool opportunity because their teacher isn't allowed to talk with them about God, even though he desires to do so.  They asked really good questions, were great listeners, and some of them even want to know how to get involved.  Praise the Lord for such a random connection and the chance to brag on how awesome He is!

The rest of my weekend was pretty much spent with a friend and his kids.  We hung out, shared meals, played games, played music, played softball and volleyball, watched the kids play soccer, and hung out with his parents for a short time.  All in all a very good weekend.  By the time youth group ended last night, I was exhausted!  So I came home with every intention of getting a quick shower and heading to bed before 10:30pm.  That's where our story begins tonight...

I headed upstairs and went right into the bathroom to start the shower.  While I waited for the water to get hot I brushed my teeth, took down my hair, and went to grab some clothes from my room.  Upon entering the bathroom again, something on the ceiling caught my eye.  Before I allowed my eyes to focus, I took a few steps back, preparing for the worst.  Yes, it was indeed a big 'ol spider.  My heart sank, defeated for a few seconds before it jumped into overdrive.  I realized that I had been standing under it the whole time while I was brushing my teeth and taking down my hair, which sent me into panic-mode.  

I assessed the situation and decided that I had to despose of it or I wouldn't be able to sleep, worrying it would come for me.  Knowing it was on the other side of the bathroom, I got in the shower, all the while keeping my eyes up in case it wandered over to the steam rising from the shower.  When I get out, I went and got dressed and then stood there thinking through the different items I could use to hit it down so Piper could eat it.  Standing in my bedroom doorway, staring at it, debating, it began to descend right over the toilet.  I knew I needed to act fast and find something to swat it down with.  The closest thing I had was a hanger from my closet.  Before I could get close enough to swing at it I had to make sure it wouldn't touch me.  So I suited up in socks, pants, and a hoodie tied tight.  I didn't stand and think about it too long or I may have lost the nerve to act.  I swung the hanger through the air and as soon as it made contact with the spider web, I screamed like I was being murdered, flung the hanger, which landed on the other side of the toilet, and ran out of the room, still screaming.  

At this point, Piper was on full alert.  I knew the thing didn't go in the toilet, so I sent her in there.  She didn't see it at first and then I began to feel guilty about making her eat it.  After all, what if it was poisonous or something?  So I called her away, and went in to investigate.  Leaning across the toilet, I saw it there... on the floor, being creepy and disgusting.  I couldn't reach for the hanger for fear that it would move at me.  So I quickly grabbed the toilet brush and without thinking smashed the spot where it was, screamed bloody murder, and threw the brush into the toilet.  Once I saw that it was in there, I got the brush out and flushed.  After the toilet stopped running, I flushed it again, feeling satisfied that it was indeed a goner.  

When the adrenaline finally stopped coursing through my veins, I laid down to calm myself enough for sleep (although, not before checking my entire room for any friends of the deceased).  I slept very restlessly last night, feeling like there were bugs on me and when my alarm went off at 5:30 this morning, I was still exhausted.  Even now I'm still a bit jumpy, but that's my heroic tail of killing a spider all by myself.  Full of drama and intrigue, I know!



FYI: Now, twice in one week I've had no choice, but to kill a bug.  On Friday afternoon there was a stink bug on the wall right above my bed.  I was about to leave to go out and had to get rid of it.  I couldn't leave with it that close to my bed.  So I took nearly a half roll of toilet paper, wrapped it around my hand, grabbed the bug (whilst screaming, of course), ran to the bathroom, and threw it into the toilet.  Ugh.  It's going to be a loooooong summer.

No comments: