Sunday, April 28, 2013

Bragging Rights

I just want to brag on my church for a few minutes.  In the last month or so, on two separate occasions I've asked two different groups of people to spend their Sunday nights with me and my youth kids.  With very little reservation they all agreed.  The first night I had some "seasoned" church members come in and talk about discernment.  I've rarely seen a group of teenagers sit so quietly, listening carefully to what their elders had to say.  It was great!  And then tonight I asked the members of my worship team to come in to talk about their worship experience with music.  Not only did they share their hearts, but they took the time to eat with us and even stayed for games.

This might not sound like much to you, but it meant A LOT to me.  God has blessed me with the opportunity to care for His flock.  He's asked me to share His truth with young and old alike and I don't take that job lightly.  For as much as I talk about not crying, as I sit here tonight and think about the willingness of others to spend time with a bunch of youth that I dearly love, I'm moved to tears.  I want nothing more than for these kids to know Jesus and love Him like I do.  I want nothing more than for them to experience His mercy and grace and then share it with others.  I want them to hear the Gospel and be excited to shout about it.  And when people are willing to take time out of their lives to share with my kids, it blesses me more than I can express.

My job is not easy. ("What?  You get to hang out with kids all the time and be ridiculous!")  Even though I have flexible hours, play endless games, act insane, get louder than any adult should, and laugh more than most people do at their jobs, I realize that there are lives on the line.  There are souls at stake and while I can't save one, I serve a God who is capable and willing to save all.  Nothing I will ever do will be enough but I can plant seeds, disciple, love, and be Christ to them.  I can meet them where they're at and walk with them.  Building strong, trusting relationships with the kids is where it all begins... and that's no easy task.  Even getting them to come and see the value of youth group is a challenge.  And once they're there, making sure they're engaged in what's going on and actually understanding.  It's even a challenge to go from crazy-competitive-loud-obnoxious-hyper-me to mature-adult-teacher-youth director-assistant pastor-me, but I know the kids see that and understand the difference and the need for a difference.  Not many people get to be fools at work and still have the respect of others.  Lucky for me, I do.  I love being a fool for Christ.

In all seriousness, I'm humbled by the outpouring of love I've seen recently.  I'm grateful to serve in a place that loves the youth as much as I do.  I'm also grateful for the support and encouragement I get.  These lovely church members didn't have to say yes, but they did.  Sunday evenings are tough for people; a lot of the time it's the only time they get to chill with their families.  So grateful.

Thanks, Jesus.

No comments: