Sunday, December 8, 2013

In The Secret

I loved a few SonicFlood songs when I was in high school.  One that my worship team did often was In the Secret.  After hearing it and playing it for so many years, it was one of those songs that I outgrew.  It's still not my favorite, but I appreciate it a whole lot more as of late.

This past week I spent an afternoon building my own secret place.  Its only purpose is to serve as a sanctuary... a place that I meet with Jesus, one on one.  It's not a place to host a Bible study or a place to counsel.  It's strictly a place where I go to just be with Jesus.  The idea came early in the week as I desperately wanted to meet with God without any chance of interruption.  I like to verbally process things with Him.  I like to spend time just sitting and listening.  It's hard to do that in my living room where there are crazy animals running around all the time, or even in the church sanctuary as people are in and out constantly. 

This secret place has already gotten lots of use.  As I sat to write my sermon this week, I was able to focus in really well.  Bible study time is so peaceful.  Without the distraction of my phone or the internet (aside from research), my sermon was written quite quickly this week..  My "Jesus room" has rapidly become my new favorite place to spend time.  It's relaxing and freeing.  It's intimate and lovely.  I'm so thankful to Jesus for providing the space and the stuff to fill the space.  Even as it gets colder in that space with the outside temps dropping, I will continue to meet with Him there.

I highly recommend finding space and making it your secret place... a place where you just meet with Jesus.  No distractions.  Just you and Him.  The presence of Jesus brings such peace.  All you need is Him.   

"In the secret, in the quiet place
In the stillness You are there.
In the secret, in the quiet hour I wait,
Only for You, 'cause I want to know You more;

I want to know You,
I want to hear Your voice
I want to know You more.
I want to touch You,
I want to see Your face
I want to know You more.

I am reaching for the highest goal,
Then I might receive the prize.
Pressing onward, pushing every hindrance aside,
Out of my way, 'cause I want to know you more."

The pictures don't do it justice.  It really is lovely.


No comments: