Wednesday, December 11, 2013

There's Just Something About That Name

A week ago, my youth team and I went for an hour drive together.  In my efforts to be more consistent in my prayer life, I've decided to invite others into it as well.  The more time I spend in prayer, the closer I draw to God.

(Time-spent is my love language (when someone spends time with me, I feel most loved), so it's only fitting that the time I give others is meaningful to me.  I try to be careful with my time- especially since I don't have a lot of it to myself- so when I spend time with someone it's saying a lot about how I feel about that person.  Anyways, I love Jesus (duh!) and I love spending time with Him.  I love that He is always ready and willing to spend time with me too.  I don't have to come in some formal setting or say just the right words.  Often times I say whatever is on my mind... it's probably quite humorous for Him to hear some of my thoughts aloud.)

So last week I asked the team to meet with me.  I didn't give them details other than that we'd be praying together.  We prayed before we left, loaded up in a van, and took off.  The idea was to make a big circle around the church.  I told them that we'd be praying the entire hour and that anyone could speak up whenever they wanted to.  No one was forced to pray, but as we went most took the opportunity to pray for certain towns, school, families, etc.

The whole idea was to claim this area in the name of Jesus and to cover it with prayer.  There is great power in His name, isn't there?  When we claim things in Jesus' name we are claiming who He is... the names of God give us such insight into His character.  1 Corinthians 1:24 says, "But to those called by God to salvation, both Jews and Gentiles, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God." (emphasis mine.)  Throughout Scripture we find dozens and dozens of His names... names that people knew Him by because they'd experienced Him personally in those ways.

  • ALL IN ALL.......................Colossians 3:11
  • ANOINTED ONE.....................Psalm 2:2
  • HEAD OF THE BODY.......................Colossians 1:18
  • HOLY ONE...............................Acts 2:27
  • I AM....................................Exodus 3:14, John 8:58
  • REFINER'S FIRE...........................Malachi 3:2
  • MIGHTY ONE...............................Isaiah 60:16
  • PRINCE OF PEACE..........................Isaiah 9:6
  • SAVIOR...................................Luke 2:11
  • ALPHA............................Revelation 22:13
  • ADONAI......Malachi 1:6  (meaning "Lord", a reference to the Lordship of God.)
  • JEHOVAH-JIREH.........Genesis 22:13-14 (meaning "The Lord will provide")
  • EL-ELYON..............Genesis 14:17-20,Isaiah 14:13-14 (meaning "The most high God)
The list goes on and on.  He is Greatness and His power is undeniable and unstoppable.  I often think of when the Holy Spirit came at Pentecost and how He came with power and might.  There was no escaping His presence.  Sounds wonderful, doesn't it?  

That's what I want for this place.  I want us to start acting like God is as powerful as He says He is.  I want to see people fall to their knees and cry out to Him.  If we don't cry out to Him... the rocks will!  “I tell you,” he replied, “if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.” - Luke 19:40  I think the rocks have been louder than even the Church lately and I don't like it.

As we drove around South Jersey and prayed for local government and other leaders, schools, churches, individuals, families, jobs, finances, etc, God was present.  There wasn't any awkwardness and it was a beautiful time of worship.  An entire hour of continual, outwardly focused prayer with the body of Christ.  We have already seen some of our prayers answered and I'm so excited to see what else God is going to do.  We will continue to pray and claim this place in Jesus' name.

Worshipping with this Gaither song tonight:

There's Just Something About That Name
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus
There's just something about that name
Master, Savior, Jesus
Like the fragrance after the rain
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus
Let all heaven and earth proclaim
Kings and kingdoms shall all pass away
But there's something about that name.


No comments: