Thursday, November 10, 2011

A New Sister!

Sometimes hundreds and thousands of people raise their hands, pray, and accept Christ.  Sometimes it's a group of ten or twenty people.  Sometimes it's no one.  When we speak to large groups or when there's an alter call it's almost expected that at least one will go forward and accept the Lord.  However sometimes it's not like that at all.  Sometimes it's a completely different story.

I want to tell you about a girl I met this week.  We'll call her Ruth, though that's not her real name.  WGM has some people in town this week for crusades and for a pastor's conference.  These people are staying at a local hotel and like many local places, the staff live where they work.  Over the last week or so they've gotten to know some of the staff members, or at least they've been able to wave a friendly "hello" on their way too and from different events.

On Tuesday of this week, Ruth stopped one of them on their way out and asked that they be praying for her.  Without asking too many questions, he told her he would be praying for her.  I then got a phone call asking if I would go and meet with her due to cultural propriety.  It's not appropriate for a man and a woman to meet in private.  It was explained to me that Ruth was a Muslim, but she was wanting to talk and pray with a Christian.  I have spent much of my time building relationships with and ministering to some amazing people who also happen to be Muslim.  When Ruth explained her request, I was the first person he thought of to talk to her.

So Wednesday morning I hopped on a boda and made my way to the hotel.  I found Ruth quite easily, but became discouraged when she told me she didn't have time to meet with me.  She explained her schedule and we decided that I would come back at around 3 that afternoon, after my Kiswahili lesson.  The lesson ended and I headed back to the hotel, praying along the way.  

I found Ruth easily and we went down to the dinning area to chat.  We said basic greetings for a minute before I asked her what was going on... what she wanted prayer for.  She told me that she is struggling and that's she's been sick for a long time with pneumonia, but is still needing treatment and medicine.  We talked a few minutes about that before she said, "but I really just want to change my life."  That was it.  She knew what she wanted and knew why I was there.  

I asked her how she heard about Jesus and what she knew about him.  We talked for a little bit about that and then we talked for a while about becoming a Christian, what it means... especially coming from a Muslim background where she would no longer be accepted at home.  She knew that by converting her family would disown her and that things would not be easy, but she didn't care.  She was ready to accept Jesus.  

I asked her if she was ready to pray and she said she was.  So I asked her to repeat after me and we prayed the prayer!  I then prayed for her and her new life in Christ.  After we prayed we rejoiced together for some time and then I talked to her about getting involved in a church body and fellowshipping with other believers.  I told her about the Bible study I help with on Wednesday nights and that there are people of many different religious backgrounds who attend.  I told her she would fit right in!  I also told her about the church that I normally attend on Sundays.  I explained a bit about discipleship and really staying connected to the Body of Christ.  We talked about the importance of prayer and being in the Word.  She said she didn't have a Bible, so I promised I'd get her one.  I asked if she had any questions or anything that she wanted to talk about and she didn't.  So we exchanged phone numbers, hugged, and I left to get ready for Bible study.  I bought her a Bible that day and it was given to her that evening, hallelujah!

First of all, praise the Lord for Ruth's life!  Praise His name for softening another heart and revealing Himself.  It was so astonishing to me how ready she was.  I found out later that one of our pastors had been witnessing to her for some time, but for whatever reason she hadn't been ready, 100% sure, up until that point.  I'm thankful that God was willing to use me to pray with Ruth.  

Working with Muslims is amazing and I love each and everyone of them.  However I've often found myself feeling frustrated at the lack of response to the Gospel.  I hear people speak and get excited and fall more in love with Jesus, they hear it and clap because it was a nice message.  Not every single Muslim person responds that way... and everyone is different.  

There is so much hope and Wednesday with Ruth was a reminder of that and a reminder of why I'll continue to love on these men and women who need to know Jesus.  These aren't just lost souls, these are my friends whom I love dearly.  These are men and women, boys and girls who have touched my life.  These ones are just the tip of the iceberg.  I look at the faces of the people I love and pray for miracles in their lives.  Many, many Muslims come to know Jesus through visions.  I pray for visions, for softened hearts, for truth to stick.  I pray for my brothers and sisters to rally in prayer for these souls.  I pray for a revolution.  

Yet I know the risks... I've seen the results of even corresponding with Christians.  It can be dangerous for them.  Lives are threatened daily.  Imagine being a part of a culture and religion that shuns you and/or takes your life if you turn away.  Your family rejects you and even turns on you.  Your own brother chases you.  Imagine hearing the truth, wanting to convert, but fearing for your life.  It might be easy for us to say, "it's worth it."  We have everything and we worship in complete freedom, almost no fear of oppression.  When you're a 13 year old girl with no means of surviving without your family, what choices do you have?  It's very serious.  

How do I know these risks are real?  They've happened to some of the very people I know and love.

I'm rejoicing with Ruth over her new life in Christ.  I'm more thankful than I can even explain to live where I live and love who I love.  Pray for the souls that haven't yet been won!  Let's get on our knees and plead for these ones.  Amen.

No comments: