Tuesday, November 27, 2012

If We Are the Body

Last night was another one of those nights where the Lord woke me and gave me the opportunity to pray.  I was so tired that it was hard to focus, but I spent quite a bit of time in prayer before finally falling back asleep.  At 2am the burden seems heavy, but when God carries me through a day without feeling completely exhausted it's more than okay with me.  I do have to admit that I'm excited for a time when I'm able to sleep really well for like an entire week.  But I digress.  

I got to work later than I wanted to because I rolled out of bed later than normal.  When I got there I was greeted at the door by my senior pastor and two strangers, a man and a woman.  I said hello and continued down the stairs to my office.  About a minute later the senior pastor asked me if I would ride with him to take the couple somewhere.  I agreed of course, and we left after I was properly introduced to them.  

We were headed to a motel to get them a room for a week.  Turns out they lost everything they had and had been living in a boarded up house without electricity, gas, water, or food.  The woman had come to the church on Sunday and left with tears in her eyes after the youth Sunday service because she was so blessed by the Word brought by one of the young adults.  I continued to listen to their story, my heart breaking more and more with each word spoken.  What really hit me hard was when the man said that they had gone to another church in town, but were turned away because the man in charge was "busy".  Um, what??  Granted, I don't know what he was dealing with... maybe there was a huge crisis, but unfortunately that response is typical from him according to locals.  But really, what?!

Immediately the words of Jesus flooded my mind...

"35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’" Matthew 25:35-40

To me, scripture is clear... more than clear actually.  I've lived among some of the poorest people on earth and I tell you the truth, they are the most generous people I know.  They have nothing to give, but will give you everything if you ask.  I guess that's the difference between knowing what you want and knowing what you absolutely need.  

I believe turning this couple away would have basically been a slap in the face to Jesus.  How can we, as the body of Christ turn people in need away?  How can we be ignorant to the needs of those around us?  It happens everyday and I know I'm guilty of overlooking people.   I may not have any savings right now (thanks to mission work, which I don't regret at all), but I do have shelter, food, water, electricity, gas, internet, cable, etc..  I'm one up on most of the people in this world.

(This isn't to say that we should be naive and allow ourselves to be taken advantage of, but we need be prayerful and obedient at the same time.)

In my opinion, the Church in this country is a sleeping giant.  When you're asleep, nothing is happening.  There's no moving forward.  Revival can't happen while we're not moving.  I don't know what it's going to take, but I pray that it's awakened soon.  I pray that those of us who wouldn't necessarily count ourselves as sleeping would be bold, would study, pray, preach, teach, baptize, and move... fulfill the Great Commission with urgency!

I'm not really a fan of Casting Crowns, but I like the lyrics of this song and they definitely apply.


No comments: