Sunday, December 2, 2012

Urgently Desperate

My mind is swimming tonight.  The last 24 hours alone have been jam packed, but I wouldn't have had it any other way.  I had a very refreshing Saturday night... spent with a good friend playing some music, watching some movies, laughing, and chatting.  It's the best way to spend an evening in my opinion, and I'm thankful to have someone fun to share my time with these days.

Getting home at midnight-thirty isn't that unreasonable, but then winding down and trying to fall asleep meant actually sleeping around 2am.  I then woke up at 4 thinking I had slept through my alarm (although sleeping through a rooster alarm is nearly impossible).  At about 4:30 I was finally able to fall back asleep until 6 when my alarm actually went off.  I rolled out of bed knowing that caffeine was going to be my friend all day long.

I try to get to the church before anyone else on Sunday mornings to have some very still, quiet time time in the sanctuary with the Lord.  I look forward to it each week even if it means waking up earlier than normal.  I noticed the car of one of the young adults in the parking lot as I crossed to the church and knew my time wouldn't be alone, but also praying for an opportunity to continue strengthening that relationship.  It was an encouraging time and I'm thankful for it.

Things with the praise team went smoothly, the sermon was insightful, and sharing communion with the Body of Christ is always refreshing.  By the time I got to Sunday school I was ready for a nap.  We're studying Revelation which doesn't exactly allow for the mind to rest, but as we talked through the seals (and laughter ensued, thank you Allan and Tony) a sense of urgency sprang up in my heart.

As I grow deeper in my own faith and encourage others to do the same, I'm overwhelmed at the thought of Christ's return.  On one hand I would love nothing more than for His return to be soon, just to be with Him.  On the other hand, I'm terrified at the thought of His return before my family, my friends, and the world has heard and believed the Truth.  I feel so restless when I think of the number of souls that are lost right now.  The world is in a state of emergency, the message of the Gospel is urgent!  There's no time to waste.  There's also no excuse for not sharing.  If you know the Truth, please share it.  There's a desperation in my soul for Jesus.  Are you absolutely desperate for Him?  How can others be desperate for something they know nothing about.  Why are we content to live as though everything is all good just because we know who Jesus is?  Why aren't we shouting with all we've got?

My prayer tonight is for a sense of urgency to wash over you... if you know Christ and even if you don't know Christ.

After Sunday school I was stuck on this feeling of urgency and found myself quite distracted during the second service, but it went well anyway.  Right after church I held a quick informational meeting about the summer youth mission trip, which was very poorly attended.  I'm feeling a little discouraged by the numbers, but I'm often reminded of Jesus' relationship with His disciples and the quality of those relationships.  It's not about an overwhelming number of students, but about effectively discipling the ones who are showing up.

I then met up with a couple of the kids and went out for Chinese with them.  We then went and bought gingerbread house kits and candy for youth group.  By the time I finally walked through my door it was 3pm.  I played with the puppy for about 45 minutes before feeding her, walking her, and putting her back in her cage so I could be back at the church by 4:30.  Youth group was a blast... it was so fun to watch the kids try to build their gingerbread houses.  The ones who actually followed the instructions were successful and made beautiful houses; the ones who didn't follow instructions watched their houses fall apart.  The lesson centered on Matthew 7 and the house built upon the rock... an impromptu lesson that was someone else's thoughts, but great, nonetheless.

At about 8:30 I walked through my doorway, exhausted, but grateful and urgently desperate for God.

"On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. All other ground is sinking sand."

1 comment:

leah said...

This is good. Real good. Thanks for the spur ;)