Friday, December 21, 2012

Tangible Love

Time is dragging this week.  Maybe because regularly scheduled programming isn't running, OR maybe because I'm ready to hug my nieces.  Whatever the reason may be, I'm glad it's Friday.  That's not to say it's been a bad week, quite the contrary, it's been a great week.  I've had the chance to spend time with people I really enjoy (although I haven't seen Amy lately :)) and who now have more free time.

There continues to be this build-up of excitement about Christmas, but I'm still not quite there.  I think when I walk through the door at the house in Chicago, I'll feel excited.  Maybe even when I get on the plane in Philly.  I love hearing about people's traditions and the things they're doing in the next few days as they prepare for Christmas morning.  It's kind of hard to build traditions with Piper, the puppy, but I think I'll get there.

This extra time has been very purposeful, I believe.  Even during normal things like walking my dog, that urgently desperate thing that I wrote about a couple of weeks ago persists.  On Tuesday we went out around our normal walking time, but the clouds had just rolled in and it started to rain.  I'm not so bothered by walking in the rain (and Piper is insane no matter what the conditions) so we continued on our way.  People drove by looking at me like I was crazy for being out in the rain, but it was such a peaceful time with the Lord that I didn't care.  After about 10 minutes, the rain ceased and the sky cleared a bit.  The sun's rays peaked through the clouds in such a way that it was easy to let the things of this earth fade away and turn my eyes upon Jesus.  I'm so thankful and blessed by little love gifts like a stunning sky.  What a beautiful Creator we have!

My time has also been filled with thoughts of gratitude.  I have never been a part congregation that is so generous and thoughtful.  The Christmas stocking hanging on my office doorknob continues to be filled with wonderful gifts... including things like an Applebee's giftcard which in turn allowed me bless someone with a dinner.  Cookies, pop, African ornaments, candy, candles, a scarf, notes with encouraging scripture and prayers, hot chocolate, cards, etc. have all been sweet blessings recently.  And to top it off, I've been taken out to lunch for my birthday, given many cards, and someone brought me a gift today.  I've held off opening it for close to 2 hours now... I don't know how much longer I can resist.  :)

I'm overwhelmed by the love that I've been shown and I can't even express how thankful I am to be a part of such a community.  But it's not just been the tangible things that I've enjoyed.  It's coming into work, hearing about a situation, and being able to stop everything to simply pray with a dear sister.  It's being encouraged by hearing people's hearts for serving God.  It's seeing people's growth as they walk closer with the Lord.  It's sharing in each other's burdens, not because we have to, but because we love the Lord and consider it an honor.  It's tangible love.

No comments: