Thursday, January 3, 2013

Important Souls

Let me start with a quick update.  My time at home was a major blessing!  It was very covered with prayer and I'm confident that God answered our many prayers.  I had a lot of good time with my family, lots of play time with my nieces, and lots of good time with my friends and youth kids.  My birthday was one of the best I've ever had.  Turning 30 isn't so bad when you're surrounded by tons of friends and family... and also when your church family sends a special greeting.  My wonderful friend, Allan had the congregation sing happy birthday in both English and Swahili.  Here's the video from the first service of the day, thanks to someone's iPhone.

How could I NOT feel loved after that?!  What a blessing.  That whole day was just a sweet gift from Jesus.  

Being home was easy in the sense that it was familiar.  I know the roads and how people drive.  The culture is the culture I understand best.  There are tons of people I love.  It's comfortable and easy.  It's safe.  I didn't realize how much I missed it until I was there.  I spent one whole day traveling to spend time with my best friend from college.  I hadn't seen her face to face in over two years.  It was really easy to sit and catch up.  Making the drive out to meet her was simple because I've driven those highways hundreds of times.  Almost every encounter I had while in Chicago was like being with family.  I am just so able to let loose and be comfortable when I'm there.

I started to panic a little bit when I thought about coming home to Jersey.  I couldn't imagine that I'd have that same feeling, or even close to that level of comfort.  Even little things like not knowing exactly where to go in the airport had me a bit anxious.  In Chicago, I can navigate the airports without having to read signs... my family knows just where to pick me up.  I don't have to call and confirm, they're just there.  Now, this isn't to say that I had doubts about actually being picked up, because I didn't, but it still wasn't going to be the same comfort that comes with flying in over Lake Michigan and being able to name buildings and landmarks from thousands of feet above.  

It felt surreal to get on the plane to come back... very oposite from what is natural.  It's natural to go to Chicago, unnatural to go "home" to New Jersey.  As I relaxed in my seat and and we took off I began praying through some of those thoughts and feelings.  I took out my iPod (after the flight attendants gave their permission, of course) and spent the next hour and a half worshipping.  (Yes I was singing out loud at times, but I kept forgetting that I wasn't alone.)  Thanks to the noise of the plane, I don't think I disturbed anyone... (well, no one complained to my face).  During that sweet time of worship, God reminded me of a few things.  First of all, that this world is not my home.  That I didn't need to worry about calling either of these places home because they're not.  Second, that He hasn't promised me an easy time, but He has absolutely promised to walk with me every step of the way.  He has called me to walk in obedience to Him, just as Jesus did.  It wasn't Jesus' first choice to be nailed to a cross and we can see that in the prayer He prayed, but then we hear Him repsond in obedience when He says, "not my will, but Your's be done." (Luke 22:42)  Third, as always, I was reminded of the wonderful promise of John 15 to simply abide/remain in Him.  He asked me to trust Him... um, trust the Lord of all Creation?  Yeah, I think I can do that.

By the time the plane touched down in Philly, my worries were gone.  I looked up and saw Allan coming to get me and I was reminded that God's promises are true.  I knew I didn't have to think of this as home in every sense of the word.  I knew He was going to walk with me every step.  I know that as long as I remain in Him, I will bear much fruit, because apart from Him I can do nothing.

And this morning as I entered into His presence once more, I was reminded that all of the goodness and love that I understand because I know God, isn't just for me.  While talking with a friend this morning, I realized that there are times when I pick and choose who I'm going to minister to based on what's easy.  It's sometimes easy to forget that I don't get to decide who should hear the truth.  If I am truly a disciple of Christ and I'm fulfilling the command of the Great Commission, than every person I encounter will hear the truth.  Not just a few select youth or young adults.  Not just people I'm comfortable talking with.  EVERYONE.  How's that a for a "new years resolution"?  So today (this year), my challenge for you (but mostly for me) is to share Jesus with every single person that I encounter.  Maybe that looks like asking, "how is it with your soul?"  Or maybe it's as simple as a smile.  Just be Jesus to every person you encounter.  Yes, it will be hard, but isn't their soul as important as your's?

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Love the challenge... I accept. Glad we chatted today.

Stacy said...

Love the challenge... I accept. Glad we chatted today.