Monday, January 7, 2013

Just a day in the life...

To my surprise, I got a phone call yesterday reminding me that Piper had an appointment at the vet today.  Good thing they called because I had not checked my calendar and would have been annoyed when my reminder went off this morning.  Taking my dog to the vet requires certain preparations.  I have to make sure to give her some motion sickness meds about an hour prior to departure, I have to remember not to feed her breakfast, and I have to vomit-shield my car.  Not doing all of those things ends in disaster seeing as though I can't handle vomit at all.

Well for some reason I didn't set an alarm.  I'm not a good sleeper so I figured I'd be up in plenty of time to make sure all was ready for the vet visit.  I was in bed by 11:30pm last night so when 7:45am rolled around, I was wide awake.  Forgetting that I had to start making preparations, I laid in bed listening to music and checking email.  At around 8:10 I realized my mistake.  I rushed down the stairs to feed the drugs to my dog.  I knew that was cutting it close, but I figured they would still be effective. I then took a quick shower, put a seat cover, towels and plastic bags in my car, and picked up Piper and forced her in the car, and then we headed off.  

No more than 4 minutes into the trip, my poor little girl started to look super sick so I turned her head forward and not a second too soon.  She threw up.  Thankfully all she had had was water, peanut butter, and the pills.  It was easily contained by the vomit-shield I had created.  So we kept on our way and I held her head in an effort to keep any more projectile properly aimed.  Of course the sight of vomit made me nauseous and I was thankful that I had only eaten a banana, but for the first time I just stayed calm.  I had started mentally preparing myself the day before for just such an occasion so I was somehow ready for it.

We got to the vet and they did a full comprehensive exam.  It was her 9 month check up.  She tested negative for any and everything and she is completely healthy for which I'm thankful.  (I can in no way afford a sick dog right now.)  As they were checking her in the back room I heard the vet ask her if she wanted a treat.  My first response was a little moment of panic.  I knew that any food would equal more vomit.  When she came back in, I asked her if she had given her food, but she explained that that was how she got her to swallow her de-worming stuff.  Phew!  She then got a routine shot and we headed out.

On our way out we passed a clearance bin with left over holiday toys for a dollar each.  I handed her one (which she proceeded to carry all around the store) and grabbed an extra for when the first one is surely ripped to shreds.  As I was getting out my money to pay, I heard her crunching something.  When I wasn't paying attention the clerk had decided to give her some treats without asking me.  No!!  Of course he had no idea that he had just sentenced me to clean up even more vomit, so I just smiled, thanked him, and left.  Once again within mere minutes she threw up.  But once again it was contained on the vomit-shield.

Even though it wasn't difficult to clean up, by the time we walked through the door... I was crabby!  I knew that some time with the Lord was necessary in order to turn this day around.  So I spent the next hour or so reading/praying/hanging out with God.  The difference an hour makes is astounding to me.  Feeling refreshed, I hopped in the car to finally get a library card... something I had been wanting to do for a while, but kept forgetting to do.  Also, the libraries around here have terrible hours.  What kind of library is closed Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? 

As I waited for my library card I was texting a friend who was having a really rough day.  I feel like the Lord has gifted me with encouragement, compassion, and prayer.  I tend to take other's burdens and make them my own, so I while standing at the library, I immediately felt the need to stop everything I was doing and pray.  Just then the lady handed me my new library card, but instead of exploring, I went to my car and prayed.  After a little while, I continued on my journey down Kings Highway to my bank in Swedesboro... all the while talking to God.  What an honor to bring others before the throne of God!  Hebrews 4:16 says, "Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."

When I got home, I ate a quick lunch and then took the dog for a nice long walk.  Piper has a new special collar which makes walking her a joy instead of a hassle.  While walking I got a phone call from my best friend plus I had even more time to hang out with God.  How awesome is He?  Tonight I have Bible study with the young adults and I'm really looking forward to getting back in the swing of things with them.  

I'm thankful to serve such an amazing God who's love is absolutely beyond my comprehension.  I'm thankful that He's trustworthy.  I'm thankful that He cares even about the little stuff.  

Here's a song I'm loving these days by Desperation Band.  This is my prayer today.

No comments: