Monday, January 14, 2013

Funeral Truth

For a while now I've struggled with the numbers (or lack there of) at youth group.  When I was growing up, you couldn't keep me away from youth group.  It wasn't just a time of fun with friends; it was a time of growth, development, and discipleship.  Of course we had our fair share of drama.  What high school kids don't?  But for the most part we were there because we wanted to hear about Jesus.  Our youth pastor never wavered.  It seemed like she always had her eyes on the prize... Jesus.  I never went into youth group thinking, "tonight's just going to be a blow-off night."  We had a large group of kids, but it didn't matter how many showed up, Becky still told us truth.  She makes it her life's business to share the gospel.

So lately as I've been thinking about how I want my youth program to look, I've been thinking about the fact that these kids just need Jesus.  Even if only one kids shows up (which happened last week, our first week back), that kid still needs to hear the truth.  They still need a youth pastor who is engaged and willing to teach, mentor, disciple.  I would love to have dozens of kids, but for now, my responsibility is just as huge as if I had that many.  I've been praying specifically for the opportunity to grow my relationships with the kids and as that happens, for them to hear the truth.  In my lessons, I use illustrations and stories from my own life, hopefully speaking to their hearts about living for Christ.

Last night we had a new junior high girl.  She was very excited about coming and I was thrilled about that.  Her mom had told me at church that she'd be dropping her off and I'm so glad she did.  This little girl was very open and willing to share, and she even came on a tough night... we were talking about what our faith journeys have looked like when linearly plotted on paper.  I loved hearing her story.  It was so simple, yet very honest, and clearly meaningful to her.  Then, at senior high youth group we did the same thing, but first started out talking about trust and grace.  We played a trust game and discussed God's trustworthiness.  Next, we drew out our faith journeys.  I knew that the high schoolers would have a little more thinking to do when it came down to this activity.  And despite a few silly distractions, they did a really good job.  Each of them shared their journeys and I know it was not easy for a few of them.  It was even emotional for some.  I'm so thankful that the Lord provided such an opportunity to hear their stories and get a feel for where they're at.  I left there feeling really challenged by the task ahead, but very encouraged by their willingness to participate and learn.  I believe God is drawing these kids into Himself and I can't wait to see the ways that they're changed because of it.  I love my job.

Well, I mostly love my job.  If there was one thing I could do without, it'd be funerals.  (nice segue, right??)  I've attended a lot of funerals in my lifetime already.  All of my grandparents are gone, a great grandmother, great aunts and uncles, friends of the family, parents of old my old youth leader, friend's grandparents, parents of my youth kids, one of my youth kids, a grand-baby of a co-worker, etc..  Many of those losses were very personal and very difficult.  I clearly remember being a wreck at all of my grandparents funerals over the years.  The funeral for the baby was one of the worst experiences of my life and I didn't even really know the kid.  Being a non-cryer now, funerals tend to make me a bit uncomfortable.  

Today we had a funeral at the church for the uncle/great uncle of one of my favorite families here.  My senior pastor is out of town for the first half of this week which meant that I was expected to go over and make sure everything ran smoothly and that they had everything that they needed.  (sidebar: I probably would have attended even if it weren't my job, just to be supportive.)  I ran the powerpoint, so I sat up in the balcony, a place that I've never sat during a service.  It's an interesting viewpoint, being able to see everyone.  

The man who's life we were celebrating today was a man who loved the Lord.  There's no question in anyone's mind Who's he's hanging out with now.  In all of the different funerals I've sat through, today's was the most hopeful.  It was an amazing reminder of the hope of life in Christ.  There was one person there who I've been specifically praying for their salvation.  This is a person that I really struggle with, but God keeps reminding me that they are in need of a Savior, just like me.  So throughout the service, I took the opportunity to pray for this person.  The pastors who shared, shared Christ in such a way that all could understand their need for a savior.  They pointed everything back to Christ.  It was amazing and beautiful.  I was praying that, even though people are mourning, that they were able to hear the clear salvation message being preached.  I don't know if hearts were changed today, but the truth couldn't have been clearer. 

I'm not sure why I've never heard the gospel preached so clearly at a funeral before.  Perhaps it's because I've always been so uncomfortable or in deep mourning.  Either way, I'm so thankful for the cross today.  I'm thankful for the spreading of the Gospel and I'm praying for the souls of those who've heard the Truth.

"Jesus answered, I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.  If you really know me, you will know my Father as well."  John 14:6-7

Amen.

No comments: