Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sharing my Heart

The missions committee approached me back in December about sharing during Missions weekend.  Of course I enthusiastically agreed, always willing to talk about Africa.  (I hadn't thought about having to sum up two years of life into 20 minutes.)

The days leading into this past Sunday were a bit disconcerting.  Mostly because each of the four times that I practiced my sermon I ran over the allotted time by about 10 minutes, and even then I felt like I was leaving out too many details.  I talked to my senior pastor and he said he would do all he could to shorten other areas of the service to be sure I wouldn't end up running too far over.  Saturday night was the International Missions Dinner.  The speaker ended up getting the times confused and was running late, so I was asked to give an impromptu talk.  I didn't want to give any details that I'd be sharing the next day, so I simply told the story of the Lake Victoria miracle.  After that I came home and spent time in prayer about where to shift my focus.  I knew I needed to cut some time off, but I didn't know what to leave out.  I really wanted to just share what the Lord wanted the people to hear.

By Sunday morning God had prompted me to really focus on the second year.  So I got ready for church, running over the changes in my head.  Dressed in my African garb, I headed over early and spent some time in prayer.  The praise team arrived and we started to run through our songs.  The team had graciously allowed me to choose some songs that are close to my heart and it was an amazing blessing and comfort to sing through and practice those that morning.  (They are an amazing support system and I'm so grateful for them.)  We prayed and then the service started.  Everything moved along in just the same way that it always does, the only difference was the strange looks I was getting because of my attire (not that I minded at all!).  :)

Right before I preached we sang a hymn that I had specifically chosen to focus me in well.  And then I was off.  I tried not to watch the clock, but made sure to glance at it every once in a while so I could be sure to share a message and not just some stories.  I was encouraged by the faces of the congregation, especially those who were there for both services.  The first service was a tiny bit more jumbled, but over all I felt like it went very well.  My message in the last 5 minutes or so was focused on what makes a missionary a missionary and I hope it challenged people to view themselves as such.

Sharing about the work of the Lord is a privilege.  My story isn't interesting or amazing because of anything that I did.  It's all because the Lord allowed me to be a part of His story and work to further His kingdom.  What an honor!

After the service I was bombarded with the questions "do you miss it?" and "are you going back?".  Two very reasonable questions, but I can't even begin to describe how much I miss it and why.  My cookie-cutter answers were "yes" and "our church is taking a mission trip there next year".  I hadn't had a lot of time to sit and think much about Africa last week, even though it was the topic of my sermon.  I was more focused on getting stuff together and on stories.  But after preaching and sharing about the lives of my loved ones there, I could hardly think of anything else the rest of the day.  I've been completely ruined (in the best way) by that place and those people.  As in, my life can never, ever go back to the way it once was.  I'm forever changed.  And of course I miss it.  When something alters you so deeply and permanently, of course you miss it.  (here's a link to a generic list of reasons why people miss Africa.)

So often I get frustrated with life in the States.  I miss little things like being on the back of a boda (motorcycle) daily.  I miss the warmth of the sun and the breathtaking beauty of the land.  I miss the deep smiles.  I miss the absolute need and desire for God that the people have.  There are things I don't miss too, like corruption and certain cultural things.  I had many days when I was frustrated by something and thought, "this wouldn't have happened in America."  "Normal" life was a challenge sometimes, but all of those rough days are by far outweighed by the good days.  I could go on and on for hours about what I miss and don't miss, but that won't change where I'm at today.

For this time in my life, God has placed me here.  He has told me to be settled and put down some roots.  Does that take away the ache that my heart sometimes feels when I'm missing Africa?  No.  But I am comforted still by His promises to me.  I know that He is trustworthy.  I'm happy to be right where I am, serving the Lord and doing life with His people.  And whether I get to go back or not, it's always going to be a part of my identity and who I am.  That won't ever go away.

This video doesn't contain my pictures, but it's a song that I absolutely love.  Africa by Paul Coleman Trio.

1 comment:

Grants said...

What a great post Christina, it encourages my heart to hear how you are ruined for Jesus. He is your all in all I LOVE that. I would love to hear or read the sermon that you gave that morning. Post it?