Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Jesus is Not Normal


The following is a little preview of our upcoming missions weekend in January:

Jesus is not normal.  There, I said it.  In fact, I would go as far as saying that He’s the farthest from normal that a person can be.  The life that Jesus lived, the death He died, and the grave that He conquered, as recorded in scripture is nothing short of extraordinary.  There is no one like our God according to Jeremiah 10:6 which says, “No one is like you, O LORD; you are great, and your name is mighty in power,” and I for one am thankful for that!

So if Jesus is so abnormal, why on earth are we always striving to be so normal? I can tell you one thing, most missionaries are NOT normal by most people’s standards.  I should know.  I am one.  (And I think you already know that I’m not so normal. J)  So what sets someone apart as a missionary?

They are radical followers of the Word who walk daily with Christ. 

They are those who have heard these words, “”Truly I tell you,” Jesus replied, “no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age: homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—along with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life.  But many who are first will be last, and the last first,”” (Mark 10:29-31, NIV) and who have gone

They are imperfect, but willing to be used by a perfect God.

They have heard these words, “While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him.  Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”
He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother,”” (Matthew 12:46-50, NIV) and have extended their families and the family of God.

And they have heard these words, “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age,” (Matthew 28:19-20, NIV) and they have trusted Him.

They are movers, doers… urgently desperate for God… motivated by eternity with the King of Kings… striving to be like Christ, sharing His truth… raising up disciples.

Being a missionary doesn’t always mean moving to a foreign country, but it does mean being abnormal by following Christ closely.  It means being willing to be used by God, to be a part of His story.  Being a missionary is not a suggestion, nor is it a calling.  It is a command of Jesus for all believers as recorded in Matthew 28.  When you said “yes” to Jesus, you accepted the great responsibility of ministering through missions, near and far.  Where is your mission field?  Are you willing to be abnormal… like Jesus??

No comments: